Temporary – Service/Maint-Treatment O&M Tech Associate
Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
- High School graduation or GED and one (1) year of experience in a similar work environment such as process control, plant operations, construction, laboratory related activities, repair and maintenance of mechanical or industrial equipment.
- Thirty (30) semester hours of relevant formal education from an accredited institute may substitute for one (1) year of work experience.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
- Valid current Texas Class "C" Driver License.
- Must be able to become certified for Respiratory Protection.
Notes to Applicants
$20.00 per hour
Monday-Friday 6:00am till 2:00pm. This position could require overtime and after hours work on weekends and holidays.
Job Close Date 05/30/2023
Type of Posting External
Department Austin Water Utility
Regular/Temporary Temporary (No benefits)
Grant Funded or Pooled Position Not Applicable
Location Various Locations
Prefer a mechanical maintenance background. This could be anything from auto mechanics to machine maintenance. Plant process and maintenance or lift station/pump station maintenance a plus.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
Collects samples and completes chemical tests/analysis of in-process treatment of water/wastewater Repairs equipment and/or performs preventative maintenance Handles and receives hazardous and non-hazardous bulk chemicals Mixes/stirs/pours a variety of hazardous and non-hazardous solvents/chemicals Calculates dosages for chemical adjustments/flows Operates blowers and mechanical screens, and monitors instrumentation control panels Calculates figures for reports Washes down scum pits and backwashes filters Checks, monitors, operates and adjusts equipment and processes Answers citizen questions and provides assistance Enters and retrieves data using automated systems Recommends changes to methods, operations, sequences, and procedures for work assigned Performs chemical inventory and conducts a periodic check of operational equipment Inspects and participates in facility/grounds maintenance management activities Assists or performs plant maintenance by installing and repairing treatment plant equipment Makes simple repairs on equipment and/or performs preventative maintenance Operates valves Dismantles and assembles parts and equipment Maintains records Greases motors, pumps, screens Completes/initiates work orders using automated maintenance program systems Reads/interprets blueprints, equipment manufacturer manuals to determine maintenance requirements Participates in plant grounds/structures maintenance Operates rubber-tire heavy equipment
Responsibilities- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Please see the Duties, Functions and Responsibilities Section for Knowledge, Skills & Abilities on this position.
Criminal Background Investigation This position does not require a Criminal Background Investigation
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or Texas Relay by dialing 7-1-1.
The City of Austin will not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, creed, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, age, religion, veteran status, disability, or sexual orientation. In addition, the City will not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of an individual's AIDS , AIDS Related Complex, or HIV status; nor will the City discriminate against individuals who are perceived to be at risk of HIV infection, or who associate with individuals who are believed to be at risk.
Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* This position requires high school graduation or GED and one (1) year of experience in a similar work environment such as process control, plant operations, construction, laboratory related activities, repair and maintenance of mechanical or industrial equipment. Thirty (30) semester hours of relevant formal education from an accredited institute may substitute for one (1) year of work experience. Do you meet these requirements?
* Are you willing and able to work city holidays (Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Fourth of July, etc.) as required?
* Are you willing and able to work weekend days (i.e., Saturday and/or Sunday) as required?
* This position is temporary with no benefits. Are you willing to accept a temporary position?
* Which of the following describes your experience in maintenance of industrial or mechanical equipment such as pumps, motors, boilers, blowers, and air compressors
- No experience
- Less than 1 year experience
- Between 1 year and 2 years experience
- Between 2 years and 3 years experience
- Between 3 years and 4 years experience
- Between 4 years and 5 years experience
- More than 5 years experience
Optional & Required Documents
Required Documents Optional Documents