Senior Meter Service Technician
Under general supervision, the Sr.Meter Service Technician is responsible for efficient and accurate repairs of water leaks, delinquent shut-offs, water meter installations and removals, water meter box installations and removals, curb stop repairs, and fire hydrant meter installations and replacements throughout the City.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge, and skills. Factors such as regular attendance at the job are not routinely listed in job descriptions, but are an essential function. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Reads and records consumption of residential and commercial water meters with mobile and hand-held reading devices and manual reads; verifies that readings are within parameters and troubleshoots problems to meters and reading equipment.
- Installs, repairs and inspects water meters, meter pits and meter reading equipment, valves, pressure regulators and flow testing meters.
- Responds to customer service requests, not limited to: connections, disconnects, rereading meters, checking for leaks and may be required to respond to emergency callouts or assist the operation crews with system repairs.
- Posts notices at physical locations regarding billing and customer information.
- Ensures proper inventory of meter-related equipment and parts; orders supplies as required.
- Supports the relationship between the City of Galveston and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with citizens, visitors, and City staff; maintains confidentiality of work-related issues and City information; performs other duties as required or assigned.
- Employees may at any time be required to work in order to provide for the safety and well-being of the general public, including the delivery and restoration of vital services, in the event of an emergency.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- City organization, operations, policies, and procedures.
- Meter service rules, regulations, policies, and operating procedures including water conservation and identifying sources of high water use.
- Basic mathematics with focus on water flow and metering.
- Safe work methods and safety regulations while performing maintenance work.
- Record keeping practices of work performed.
- Principles and practices of effective customer service.
- Business and personal computers; and spreadsheet software applications.
- Identifying and resolving operational, technical, and procedural problems and communicating effectively verbally and in writing.
- Preparing clear and concise written reports.
- Safely operating and assortment of measurement tools and equipment.
- Safely driving a variety of light duty vehicles.
- Reading and interpreting manuals, specifications and troubleshooting metering equipment.
- Providing efficient customer service.
- Understanding and applying City policies and procedures.
- Explaining City policies and procedures.
- Performing basic mathematic calculations with extreme accuracy.
- Establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with all levels within the City.
- Communicating effectively verbally and in writing.
High School diploma or equivalent; AND one year of experience in water meter operations is required. A valid Texas Driver's License is required. Must obtain TCEQ C Distribution or C Ground Water within two years of hire.
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION:
- Possession of a valid Texas Driver's License.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT:
Work is performed both in an indoor or outdoor work environment. May be exposed to dangerous machinery, extreme weather conditions, potential physical harm and hazardous chemicals. May be required to climb ladders. May be required to work in confined spaces. May be required to lift and carry items weighing up to 25 pounds.
Closing Date/Time: September 29, 2023 at 11:59 PM CST