Meter Technician Trainee (Customer Service)
Grade 14 - Starting hourly rate: $18.4250.
SAWS is currently recruiting for Meter Technician Trainee (temporary up to 36-months) positions. This position will be working with the Advanced Metering Infrastructure. The Meter Technician Trainee is responsible for installing, resetting, removing, and testing water meters. The trainee will assist in responding to and diagnoses customer calls for leaks or no water on a daily basis. They will maintain the water distribution infrastructure within and including the meter box while promoting and practicing a safe working environment.
Meter Technician Trainee (temporary up to 36-months) candidates selected for employment will be eligible for the benefits offered to full-time employees of SAWS which currently includes medical and dental plan coverage, life insurance, retirement plans, paid leave and holidays, and others as further outlined on Benefits - San Antonio Water System (saws.org) . After successful completion of a three (3) month training program, the Meter Technician Trainee will be considered for automatic placement into a Meter Technician (Grade 15) position.
Under direct supervision, the Meter Technician Trainee is responsible for installing, resetting, removing, and testing water meters; responds to and diagnoses customer calls for leaks or no water on a daily basis; maintains the water distribution infrastructure within and including the meter box while promoting and practicing a safe working environment.
- Removes defective meters, generally up to 3-inches in diameter; installs new meters; replaces/resets meter boxes.
- Repairs water service leaks within the meter box.
- Responds to reports of leaks, broken meters, no water complaints, and service line repairs; makes field inspections and diagnoses problems in response to customer inquiries; makes repairs when problems are SAWS' responsibility and advises customer of needed repairs when leaks are not SAWS' responsibility.
- Installs, activates, programs, reads, inspects, routes, tests, and replaces automated meter infrastructure equipment; programs and assigns water meters and communication devices to customer properties electronically.
- Organizes and maintains facility and/or vehicle parts inventories to ensure adequate tools and equipment required for testing, installation and repair of water meters and communication devices.
- Assists in testing meters in the Meter Shop and in the field.
- Operates a variety of hand tools and equipment in the removal, installation, adjustment, repair and servicing of meters.
- Reads residential, commercial and industrial meters, as required during repairs or meter sets.
- Performs administrative duties to support field personnel activities by updating work orders and services requests in the computerized maintenance management system (INFOR) with findings, resource usage, and completion status. Creates follow-up work orders for other groups as necessary.
- Utilizes GIS (GeoCortex), block maps, and/or as-built drawings in performing daily assignments.
- Coordinates and prioritizes schedules, assignments, equipment, and materials to ensure completion of daily assignments and projects.
- Organizes, cleans and maintains vehicle, tools, equipment, and facilities used to test and repair meters, stocks vehicle with the necessary tools and supplies.
- Assists with the setup of work zone traffic control and promotes and practices a safe working environment.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships and public relations.
- Corresponds regularly with supervisor via email to understand priorities and communicate items requiring immediate attention and external follow-up.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- This position works under direct supervision
- Six (6) months' experience performing basic maintenance and/or construction.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Valid Class "C" Texas Driver's License.
- Perform position specific physical testing.
- Ability to report to work on time, maintain a good attendance record, and work all designated work schedules.
- One (1) year experience in the use of materials, tools, and equipment commonly used in construction, plumbing, maintenance, or repair of water distribution/wastewater collection systems.
- Basic PC skills including Microsoft Word and Outlook.
- Basic knowledge of Automated Meter Infrastructure.
- Ability to exercise extreme caution and understanding of safety policies and procedures.
- Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing, with internal and external customers.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
Physical requirements include lifting/carrying up to 10 pounds frequently and up to 55 pounds occasionally. Subject to standing, sitting, walking, climbing, bending, crawling, squatting, kneeling, and working in cramped and strained positions for long periods of time to perform job scope.
Working conditions are primarily outside, exposed to wet, humid, or extreme weather conditions; slippery, uneven surfaces; excessive noise; heavy traffic; and animals, snakes and poisonous insects and poisonous plants. Operates company vehicle on a daily basis.
May be required to work hours other than regular daytime schedules such as weekends, holidays, nights, on-call, and in emergency response situations.
San Antonio Water System values the contributions of all its employees, providing them the best in compensation and benefits. The benefits package is designed to attract and retain a workforce of qualified employees who share a responsibility in providing quality water to 1 million consumers.
From an affordable medical and dental plan to life-sustaining retirement and insurance plans, we offer benefits that reward employees for their commitment to a challenging career at SAWS. Employee benefits include the following:
- Competitive, market-based salaries
- Performance-based incentives
- Medical benefits
- Dental benefits
- Life insurance
- Prescription drug program
- Vision care plan
- Two retirement plans
- Deferred compensation plans (457 plan)
- Disability income
- Paid leave (vacation, sick, personal)
- Education assistance program
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible, tax-deferred health and dependent care spending accounts
- Wellness programs
- On-Site Fitness Facilities
- Community service opportunities
Closing Date/Time: 11/5/2023 11:59 PM Central