Meter Services Technician I
Pay Rate: $18.50/hr.
Job Posting Closing on: Wednesday, May 31, 2023
The City of Fort Worth is the 13th largest city in the U.S. and the fastest growing among large cities. Fort Worth has received multiple accolades, including number one Downtown (Livability), and the second-best City in the nation for Job Seekers (Forbes). Our employees serve the needs of over 900,000 residents. We are seeking individuals that reflect our values of exceptional customer experience, mutual respect, embracing our diversity, continuous improvement, ethical behavior, and accountability.
A Meter Services Technician I job is available with the Fort Worth Water Department Meter Services section. This is an entry-level position with potential for growth through an established career ladder. The job consists of providing quality in-field customer service, field and technical work related to the installation, maintenance, and repair of over 285,000 water meters and water assets. This is a fast-paced environment with a daily sense of urgency and quick response.
Shift hours include 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. - 9:30 p.m. Eligible candidates must be able to work holidays and weekends, unscheduled overtime with little or same-day notification, and be able to work a rotating on-call schedule.
- High School Diploma or GED
- Possession of a valid Driver's License
- Must be able to pass physical and drug test
- Able to obtain a TCEQ Class D Water Distribution license within one (1) year of hire
- Able to obtain a TCEQ Class C Water Distribution license within two (2) years of hire
- Previous plumbing, mechanical, oil field, utility, or construction field work experience
- Knowledge and experience using a work order system
- Basic computer skills
The Meter Services Technician I job responsibilities include:
- Installs, maintains and troubleshoots remote-read radio communication signals
- Performs installation and preventative maintenance on water meters, endpoints (radio transmitters), pipe fittings, valves, meter boxes, and lids
- Performs water services field investigations in response to customer inquiries and inspects the condition of water meters and pipe fittings for installation, repair, or replacement
- Obtains and validates water meter readings, turns on/off water services, and locks water service for delinquent accounts
- Provides exceptional face-to-face customer service, answers questions, and take appropriate steps to meet the needs of the customer
- Locates water assets (water service lines, water mains, water meters, and valves), utilizing maps and Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
- Inspects, operates, and maintains assigned City vehicles, equipment, tools, and machinery in a safe and appropriate manner
- Performs other duties as required
Depending on assignment, positions in this class typically require touching, talking, hearing, seeing, grasping, standing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, walking, repetitive motions, climbing, balancing, pushing, pulling and lifting. Incumbents may be exposed to moving mechanical parts, odors, dusts, poor ventilation, chemicals, oils, extreme temperatures, inadequate lighting, intense noises, gases and workspace restrictions. Requires working outdoors in all-weather environments including wind, rain, snow, extreme cold, or high heat, etc. Frequently exposed to dangers related to plants, animals, insects, spiders, and snakes.
Heavy Work - Depending on assignment, positions in this class typically exert up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, up to 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 20 pounds of force constantly having to move objects. This includes but is not limited to cases of water meters, registers, and automated metering supplies, tools, equipment, etc. Duties require mobility to work out in the field.
Conditions of Employment
The City of Fort Worth is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. It is the policy and practice of the City to recruit, hire, train and promote a diverse workforce without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, parental status, military service, or another non-merit factor.
The City of Fort Worth is committed to full compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to participate in the job application or interview process and to perform essential job functions.
Candidates who do not meet the Education requirement, may be considered if they have more relevant work experience than the position requires. Those selected for employment will be required to pass Pre-Employment checks depending on the position requirements. Those could include, but are not limited to: criminal background check, drug screen, education verification, etc. criminal convictions will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Employees are paid by direct deposit only.