Maintenance Specialist II, Facilities
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT:
The Facilities Departmentis responsible for maintenance, repair, remodel, construction, and custodial services for all county-owned and/or operated facilities.
ABOUT THE COUNTY:
We know where you choose to live, work and play matters. Deschutes County is one of the largest employers in Central Oregon and the largest municipal government in the region. Our dedicated and passionate workforce of more than 1,200 employees provide County services in a number of departments, divisions, and offices.
Located in the heart of Central Oregon, between the towering Cascade Mountain Range to the west and the high desert plateau to the east, Deschutes County is the outdoor recreation capital of Oregon. We enjoy a renowned quality of life, with big-city opportunities and small-town neighborhoods.
We hope you'll consider joining our talented team.
ABOUT THE JOB
This position independently performs experienced building maintenance, repair, and construction tasks for County buildings, grounds, facilities, and related infrastructure.
This position primarily works Monday-Friday, 8 hour work day (rotating weekends of On Call after 6 months).
- Performs a variety of skilled and semi-skilled building trades work in the maintenance, installation, and repair of facilities, equipment, and components in buildings and on grounds.
- Performs experienced building maintenance tasks, including excavating, site prep, plan reading, layout, material ordering, plumbing, framing, drywall, painting, floor covering, roofing, metal fabrication, locks, masonry, and finish carpentry.
- Performs preventive maintenance of grounds, landscaping, and irrigation systems.
What You Will Bring:
Knowledge of or experience with:
- Methods, procedures, materials, equipment, and techniques used for facilities maintenance, repair, and construction projects, drywall, painting and related skills.
- Safe work practices, occupational hazards, and safety precautions in public facilities.
- Standard principles and practices of the construction industry and building trades.
- Using experienced repair and maintenance methods on mechanical and plumbing systems.
- Using and maintaining special vehicles, tools, and power equipment in a safe and effective manner.
- Closely following verbal and written instructions and procedures.
- Checking details, blueprints, estimates, and plans for maintenance and repair projects.
*This posting is not meant to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities, but rather constitutes a general definition of the position's scope and function.
Notification to all candidates will be sent via email and/or text only. Please opt in for text messaging or check your email and your Governmentjobs.com account for application status.
Review the full job description by clicking HERE.
$4,408.82 to $5,908.27 per month for a 172.67 hour work month. Excellent County benefit package when eligible. This union-represented position is available immediately.
Our robust health plan is offered at a minimal cost of $90 per month, which includes an innovative on-site clinic, pharmacy, and wellness and wellbeing services. Additionally, we include life insurance, retirement (PERS), generous paid time-off (14-18 hours/month to start, pro-rated for part-time), holidays, and professional development opportunities. Please click HERE for full benefit details.
- High school diploma or GED equivalent;
- AND five (5) years of work experience in building and grounds maintenance, including proficiency in two or more skilled building trades acquired through journeyman-level training and experience in construction and building maintenance;
- OR any equivalent combination of training, education, and experience that provides the required skills and knowledge to perform the job.
Necessary Special Requirements
Driving is a requirement for this position. Possession of or ability to obtain a valid Oregon driver's license within 30 days of hire date. The employment offer will be contingent upon presentation of an acceptable and verifiable driver's license, pre-employment screening for criminal history, driving history, and controlled substances (NOTE: Positive test results for marijuana use may result in rescission of a contingent offer of employment). This screening must be completed with satisfactory findings in order for a formal offer of employment to be extended.
Applicants must also be willing and able to drive throughout Deschutes County in sometimes adverse weather conditions.
Excellent County benefit package when eligible.
Deschutes County offers eligible employees a comprehensive health care package that covers medical, prescription, dental, and vision coverage for employees and their eligible dependents at a minimal cost of $90 per month. Coverage becomes effective the first of the month following 1 month of employment. Included in the health care package is the Deschutes Onsite Clinic (DOC), which provides a wide range of health, wellness, and primary care services to employees and their dependents. The DOC offers convenient hours and no out-of-pocket costs to patients. The DOC Pharmacy is a full service pharmacy available to employees and dependents to have their prescriptions filled at a discounted co-pay. In addition to the health care package, Deschutes County provides a generous and comprehensive benefits program to eligible employees.
Employer paid benefit offerings include:
- Life Insurance for employee and dependents
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance
- Long-term Disability Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Retirement Program through Oregon PERS
- Time Management Leave
Employee paid voluntary benefit offerings include:
- 125 Flexible Spending Program
- 457 Deferred Compensation Program
- Supplemental Life and Accident Insurance
To learn more about Deschutes County's generous benefit offerings, please visit www.deschutes.org/hr and click on Employee Benefits.
Closing Date/Time: 9/13/2023 11:59 PM Pacific