LEAD FACILITIES WORKER (Cemetery)
The City of Fort Lauderdale employees possess a passion for public service demonstrated by a high degree of enthusiasm, self-reliance, and job proficiency. They effectively convey the vision and mission of the organization and provide excellent service and satisfaction to our internal and external customers.
An employee in this role supervises and participates in repairs and maintenance of cemetery grounds and preparation and closure of interment sites, monument and marker setting.
This is skilled work in operating equipment in the maintenance of municipal facilities and property and/or supervising and participating in the work in any of a variety of functional areas in the Parks and Recreation Department; such as beach maintenance, cemetery, tree planting, landscape maintenance, and athletic field maintenance. Work is distinguished from the Facilities Worker II classification by one or more of the following: complexity of the equipment operated, lead worker responsibilities, and specialized knowledge of area of assignment.
This job classification is included within the bargaining unit represented by Teamsters Local Union769 and therefore is subject to the terms and conditions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the City of Fort Lauderdale and Teamsters Local Union 769.
The City offers a wide variety of benefits to employees. In addition to the competitive benefits package and salary, the City participates in the Florida Retirement System (FRS) which offers an investment option and a pension option, and requires a 3% contribution from employees. New hires are automatically enrolled in FRS.
NOTE: The duties of this position will include all of those duties set forth in the official job description.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Essential functions are the basic job duties that an employee must be able to perform, with or without reasonable accommodation. The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the tasks performed within this classification. The omission of a function does not preclude management from assigning essential duties not listed herein if such duties relate to the position.
- Leads the work of assigned staff; delegates, reviews, and prioritizes work assignments; provides guidance on the more complex activities
- Supervises and participates in repairs and maintenance of municipal facilities, property, and city parks including playgrounds, fencing, athletic courts, signage, asphalt/concrete repair
- Maintains records of maintenance and repair work performed; creates reports on equipment and facility projects
- Operates or supervises the operation of a variety of equipment applicable to area of assignment ; surf rakes, chippers, front-end loaders, aerial bucket trucks, small graders, stump grinders, tractor-trailers and various trucks
- Inspects and maintains tools, equipment, and materials; ensures proper inventory levels
- Responds to and resolves questions and complaints from the public
- Ensures safety laws and city ordinances are being applied
- May supervise and participate in performing unskilled, semi-skilled or skilled manual tasks; climbing trees, using ropes, hooks, mechanical hoists, etc., in order to accomplish tree trimming assignments
- May supervise and participate in repairs and maintenance of municipal facilities and property such as: beach maintenance, landscape maintenance, including tree, shrubbery and flower planting, trimming, pruning, fertilizing, ball field maintenance, and some painting
- May supervise and participate in repair and maintenance of city parks facilities including playgrounds, fencing, athletic courts, signage, asphalt/concrete repair;
- May supervise and participate in the construction of sidewalks, slabs, steps, ramps, decks
- May perform lubrication and minor non-electrical maintenance on mechanical equipment
- May select proper materials for projects
- Completes work order forms for projects completed
- Attends in-service training when required
- Performs related work as required
JOB REQUIREMENTS & WORK ENVIRONMENT
High School Diploma or G.E.D. equivalentThree (3) to five (5) years of experience in the safe operation and maintenance of assigned equipment, tree trimming, beach maintenance, landscape maintenance, maintenance and repair of parks facilities or other work appropriate to area of assignment.Requires Class B with airbrakesDepending on the area of specialization the following may be desired: Class A or passenger endorsements, and or Public Ornamental and Turf Pest Control (O&T) license. Special Requirements:
Essential Employees: may be required to work during a declared emergency. The employee's Department Head will determine who will be required to work.
PHYSICAL STANDARDS REQUIRED TO PERFORM ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
The position involves heavy physical demands, such as exerting up to 100 lbs. of force occasionally, and/or up to 50 lbs. of force frequently, and/or up to 20 lbs. of force constantly to move objects.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
HOW TO APPLY/ VETERAN INFORMATION
Depending on the number of applicants and the quality of their education and experience, the examination may consist of one or more of the following tests: Evaluation of Training and Experience, Oral Interview, Written Examination, or other assessment method. Applicants must attain a minimum score of 70 in each part of the examination in order to qualify. All successful applicants may be required to take a medical examination and/or pass a drug screening prior to appointment.
An eligible veteran who enters an open-competitive examination shall receive preference points added to the total passing score earned in the examination as provided for in the Florida Statutes. To obtain veteran's preference, candidates MUST submit a copy of separation papers and the City of Fort Lauderdale's veteran's preference claim form ( J204 ) at time of application.
The City of Fort Lauderdale offers a comprehensive benefits package to all regular full-time employees including vacation, holiday, and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and short-term disability insurance.
Click here for an overview of employment information including our benefits package.
Closing Date/Time: 5/26/2023 11:59 PM Eastern