FACILITY SERVICES SUPERINTENDENT
Position Description APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE ONLY
The Department of Internal Services has an outstanding career opportunity for experienced, adept individuals seeking a career as a Facility Services Superintendent.
The Facility Services Superintendent assists the Facility Services Manager in the development and implementation of division goals, objectives, policies, procedures, and the County's capital improvement plan. The incumbent also supervises staff, oversees the day-to-day activities of the Facility Services Division, assists in the analysis, monitoring and preparation of the division budget, and is responsible for County facility operations and maintenance services.
As a condition of employment, selected candidates will be required to obtain and maintain security clearance to access Fresno County detention facilities. Fresno County detention facilities are "No Hostage" facilities. This means in the event you are taken hostage, the County will not bargain for your safe release.
Positions in this classification are in Medical Group II - Moderate Physical Activity. This group includes positions which require moderate physical effort using arms, legs, back, and trunk in frequent lifting, pushing or pulling of objects weighing (or offering resistance equivalent to) 10-25 pounds, and occasionally over 25 pounds. Generally, bending, stooping, squatting, twisting, reaching, as well as standing and walking are involved.
Eligible candidates must be able to perform the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
Samples of Duties The information listed below is meant to serve as samples of the job duties and responsibilities for this classification. This list is neither inclusive nor exclusive, but indicative of several types of duties performed. Consequently, this information does not reflect Essential Functions for this classification.
- Supervises staff and oversees the day-to-day activities of the Facility Services Division. Supervisory responsibilities include interviewing, selecting, training, assigning, evaluating, promoting, and disciplining subordinate staff.
- Assists the Facility Services Manager in the development and implementation of Divisional goals, objectives, policies, and procedures.
- Plans and directs repair and maintenance work, remodel and improvement projects, and janitorial services.
- Develops and evaluates specifications for maintenance projects, equipment, supplies and services. Administers contracts to ensure compliance with specifications and costs and develops progress reports.
- Assists in the development and implementation of the County's capital improvement plan.
- Utilizes a computerized maintenance system in developing and maintaining capital planning to ensure effective stewardship of County buildings.
- Assists in the analysis, monitoring, and preparation of the division budget.
- Acts on behalf of the Facility Services Manager in his/her absence.
- Designs and implements new procedures and evaluation techniques for technical and administrative operations.
- Prepares and/or directs the preparation of reports, correspondence, studies, analyses, research and accompanying recommendations.
- May assist the Facility Services Manager in responding to and overseeing disaster relief work.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Knowledge of :
- Principles of public administration, organization, and management;
- Departmental policies, rules, regulations, and procedures;
- Principles and practices of effective employee supervision and staff development, including interviewing, selecting, training, assigning, evaluating, promoting, and disciplining subordinate staff;
- Federal, State, and local codes, ordinances, and regulations applicable to facility maintenance;
- Technical concepts, terminology, and issues associated with providing facility maintenance and janitorial services;
- Grant development and administration;
- Principles of management and enforcement of conditions of contracts for facility maintenance and services;
- Standard office applications, including computer software usage and automated office equipment.
Skills/Abilities to :
- Supervise staff which includes interviewing, selecting, training, assigning, evaluating, promoting, and disciplining;
- Understand, interpret, and apply departmental policies, rules, regulations, and procedures;
- Understand and interpret building plans, drawings, and specifications;
- Recognize operational issues and implement effective solutions;
- Assist in the analysis, monitoring, and preparation of the division budget;
- Operate modern office equipment including multi-line telephone systems, computer hardware and software, and internet and web-based applications;
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing;
- Effectively and independently manage multiple work assignments, set priorities, and meet established deadlines;
- Assist in the development of clear and comprehensive bid specifications for facility maintenance and capital improvement projects, equipment, supplies, and services;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships at all organizational levels, as well as with other agencies and the public;
- Demonstrate and maintain a high degree of initiative, integrity, accountability, and good judgment.
Minimum Qualifications Applicants must qualify under one (1) of the options listed below:
OPTION 1 :
Experience : Three (3) years of full-time, paid supervisory work experience in one or more of the following facility services functions in a commercial, industrial or institutional setting: structural, mechanical, carpentry, plumbing, painting, locksmith, HVAC-R, or electrical.
OPTION 2 :
Experience : Three (3) years of full-time, paid work experience as a Building Maintenance Specialist with the County of Fresno.
OPTION 3 :
Education : Possession of a bachelor's degree that is acceptable within the United States' accredited college or university system.
Experience : Three (3) years of full-time, paid professional work experience involving operations planning, budget analysis and cost estimation over facility services in a commercial or industrial setting.
The following information is in addition to the options listed above:
License : Possession of a valid Class "C" driver's license, or equivalent, is required.
Note : As a condition of employment, selected candidates will be required to obtain and maintain security clearance to access Fresno County detention facilities.
TO PREVENT THE DISQUALIFICATION OF YOUR APPLICATION, PLEASE NOTE :
- Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications and filing requirements for this position by the filing deadline.
- A completed Fresno County employment application is required (must be current, complete, and accurate; amendments will not be allowed after the filing deadline).
- Resumes and attachments are not accepted in lieu of a completed application.
- Please fully list your education/work experience; including current position. Failure to list current, complete and accurate education/work experience within the job application (including employment with the County of Fresno) will result in the disqualification of your application.
- In the Education section of your application, please provide complete information for each school attended. Please provide the school's name, school's location, the type and number of units earned (semester or quarter), type of degree earned (bachelor's degree, master's degree, etc.) and which major or program was completed. Failure to completely list education within the job application may disqualify the applicant from consideration.
- College/university transcripts may be requested to verify completion of qualifying degree. Transcripts are not accepted in lieu of a completed application.
- If you have completed education in a foreign college or university and are using this education to meet the minimum qualifications, you must provide documentation that the foreign education is comparable to that received within the United States' accredited college or university system or your application will not be accepted. Documentation must be provided by the closing date and time of this recruitment. You may attach a copy to your online employment application; fax a copy to (559) 455-4788, Attn: Jose Rubio; or email it to HREmploymentServices@fresnocountyca.gov . Late submission of documentation will not be accepted.
- Valid driver's license number must be listed on your application. Failure to provide this number on your application will result in your application not being accepted.
SELECTION PROCESS :
Depending upon the number of applicants meeting the minimum qualifications and filing requirements, applicants may be scheduled for one of the processes listed below:
- Certify Without Examination - In instances where the number of eligible candidates is less than or equal to the number of qualified applicants the Department is entitled to receive under Personnel Rule 4212, the competitive examination process will be waived and the names will be certified without an examination.
- Oral Examination - An oral examination includes a panel consisting of at least two members within a similar field of expertise as the vacancy. Candidates are asked structured questions and must respond orally to allow the panel to evaluate the specific qualifications of each applicant.
- If required, the oral examination will be administered in an online format via the Spark Hire platform.
Successful candidates will be placed on an employment list effective for a minimum of 3 months (may be extended up to an additional 12 months) and certified in final rank order as vacancies occur.
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS :
- Fresno County Employment Application (must be current, complete and accurate; amendments will not be accepted after the filing deadline)
- Supplemental Questionnaire
Please note : All required application materials must be received online only via our website by the closing date and time of this recruitment. Applications submitted via U.S. mail, in person, email, or fax will not be accepted. Resumes and attachments are not accepted in lieu of a completed application.
HOW TO APPLY :
Applications for this recruitment must be submitted online only. An online application may be found at: https://www.fresnocountyjobs.com .
Open Job Information Flyer and click "Apply" to begin the online application process. Failure to complete the job application or failure to follow the application instructions (such as the formatting of education or work experience) will result in the disqualification of the applicant. Amendments will not be accepted after the filing deadline.
Once the filing deadline has passed, you may check the status of this recruitment at any time by logging on to: https://www.governmentjobs.com/Applications/Index/fresnoca .
Please be advised that it is the applicant's responsibility to notify Human Resources of any mailing address and telephone number changes. Notices sent via U.S. mail from Human Resources are not forwarded ("Return Service" is requested, therefore mail will not be sent to a forwarding address).
For the safety of our employees, the County of Fresno complies with all Federal, State and Local Orders related to COVID-19, including Cal OSHA Emergency Temporary Standards.
The County of Fresno is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. It is the policy of Fresno County to provide employment opportunity for all qualified persons. All applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, ancestry, medical condition, genetic information, or denial of medical and family care leave, or any other non-job-related factor.
REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS - The County of Fresno is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to applicants as required by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA). Qualified individuals with disabilities who need a reasonable accommodation during the application, examination or selection process may contact Human Resources at (559) 600-1830 at least five days prior to the scheduled date or deadline. EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Analyst: Jose Rubio
Closing Date/Time: 12/1/2023 4:00 PM Pacific