Facility Services Representative
Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
- Associate's degree, plus one (1) year of public event or other related experience.
- Completion of thirty (30) semester college hours may substitute for one (1) year of the required education with a maximum substitution of two (2) years.
- Experience may substitute for the education up to the maximum of two (2) years.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
- Appropriate level of driver's license as specified for the individuals job.
Notes to Applicants
When completing the City of Austin employment application:
- A detailed, complete City of Austin employment application is required to evaluate your qualifications.
- Please be thorough in completing the employment application, list all experience and relevant professional certification(s) that are applicable to this position.
- Please describe your specific experience as it relates to the minimum and preferred qualifications when responding to supplemental questions on the employment application.
- Starting salary will be based on overall relevant experience.
- Please verify the employment history dates on your resume exactly match the online application.
This position relies on a successful Criminal Background check.
This position is considered "Essential," which requires reporting to work during emergency and/or bad weather closures.
This is a Uniformed Security Position at the Austin Convention Center and Palmer Event Center
This position requires a valid Texas Class C Driver's License or the ability to acquire one by your hire date. External New Hires must meet the City of Austin's Driver Record Evaluation ( DRE ) requisite. To be considered for a driving position, applicants cannot have more than three moving violations or a total of six Driver Record Evaluation points within a period of thirty-six (36) months.
90 Day Provision for Additional Vacancy:
This posting may be used to fill other vacancies in other sections within the Division. Decisions on assigned section will be made at the time of hire based on business needs.
Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. The department reserves the right to close the posting after 7 calendar days.
Please find the link here to the City of Austin employee benefits guide.
The Austin Convention Center Department ( ACCD ) offers the following additional benefits to all ACCD employees:
- Metro Pass for public transportation (Including Metro-Rail)
- Metro-Rail stop right in front of our Convention Center facility
$20.00 - $22.00 per hour
- Schedule consist of four ten hours shifts.
- Hours Available are:
- 5:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
- 1:00 p.m. - 11:00 p.m.
Job Close Date 09/15/2023
Type of Posting External
Department Convention Center
Grant Funded or Pooled Position Not Applicable
Location Austin Convention Center & Palmer Events Center
- Experience working in a public/private assembly facility managing large crowds and individual clientele.
- Experience working with dispatch/control center in a security operations field, including security access and video surveillance systems.
- Experience in Microsoft Office products including but not limited to Microsoft Word for incident report writing and Microsoft Outlook for email communications.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
Assists clients with move-in and move-out activities. Communicates and works with Event Coordinator regarding status of event, event changes, special client/event needs, etc. Monitors facility entry and exit points. Performs facility lock-down when necessary. Perform security and safety services. Monitors and performs security and fire systems. Coordinates emergency response including evacuation process. Answers visitor/client questions and provide assistance. Observes and enforces department/facility safety and operational policies and procedures
Responsibilities - Supervisor and/or Leadership Exercised:
- Acts as point of contact for department/facility in absence of Facility Services Representative.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of facility and event coordination.
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services.
- Knowledge of Federal, State and local laws.
- Knowledge of city practice, policy and procedures.
- Knowledge of safety practices and procedures.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
- Skill in using computer and related software.
- Skill in data analysis and problem solving.
- Skill in planning and organizing.
- Ability to work with frequent interruptions and changes in priorities.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with other city employees and the public
Criminal Background Investigation This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation.
The City of Austin is committed to compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or Texas Relay by dialing 7-1-1.
The City of Austin will not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, creed, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, age, religion, veteran status, disability, or sexual orientation. In addition, the City will not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of an individual's AIDS , AIDS Related Complex, or HIV status; nor will the City discriminate against individuals who are perceived to be at risk of HIV infection, or who associate with individuals who are believed to be at risk.
Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* This position requires an associate's degree, plus one (1) year of public event or other related experience. A completion of thirty (30) semester college hours may substitute for one (1) year of the required education with a maximum substitution of two (2) years. Experience may substitute for the education up to the maximum of two (2) years. Do you meet these minimum qualifications?
* This position requires a valid Texas Class C Driver License. Do you have a valid Texas Class C Driver license or, if selected for this position, do you have the ability to acquire a valid Texas Class C Driver license by your hire date?
* The City of Austin Driver Eligibility Standards require that External New Hires meet the City's Driver Record Evaluation (DRE) requisite. To be considered for a driving position, applicants cannot have more than three moving violations or a total of six Driver Record Evaluation points within a period of thirty-six (36) months. Do you meet this requirement?
* This position requires a criminal background investigation (CBI). By selecting the following, you are acknowledging that you understand if you are selected as a top candidate for this position, you will need a successful CBI to be hired.
- I acknowledge and understand this position requires a Criminal Background Investigation.
* This position is categorized as "Essential Personnel". Essential Personnel are considered critical positions and may be required to work during emergencies outside of or in addition to the normal schedule. If offered the position, are you willing to work scheduled and unscheduled hours as mandated by the needs of the business?
* This position requires standing and walking for long periods of time, with or without accommodations. Are you able to meet this business requirement?
* Do you have experience operating 2-way radio communication equipment?
* Which of the following best describes your proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, specifically with Word, Excel, and Outlook?
- No experience
- Basic: create/edit simple documents, spreadsheets, & emails
- Intermediate: create/edit a variety of documents & spreadsheets; reformat document features such as color, font style and size of text, change page size/width, & filter/sort data fields
- Advanced: create/edit complex documents & spreadsheets; integrate features such as tables, charts, mathematic formulas, hyperlinks, graphics; data/mail merge, import data from one document to another
* Please elaborate on your experience working in a public/private assembly facility managing large crowds and individual clientele.
(Open Ended Question)
* Please elaborate on your experience working with dispatch/control center in a security operations field. Including security access and video surveillance systems.
(Open Ended Question)
* Briefly describe your customer and public interaction skills and experience.
(Open Ended Question)
* Describe in detail any experience you have working in an organization that provides security services.
(Open Ended Question)
Optional & Required Documents
Required Documents Optional Documents Cover Letter