FACILITIES WORKER I (Beach)
This position requires:
CDL (B) License
The City of Fort Lauderdale employees possess a passion for public service demonstrated by a high degree of enthusiasm, self-reliance, and job proficiency. They effectively convey the vision and mission of the organization and provide excellent service and satisfaction to our internal and external customers.
This position is responsible for execution of a daily route servicing the City's public places trash cans. Employee will, with another team member, operate a trash collection vehicle, empty trash, and recycle containers located throughout the City
This job classification is included within the bargaining unit represented by Teamsters Local Union769 and therefore is subject to the terms and conditions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the City of Fort Lauderdale and Teamsters Local Union 769.
The City offers a wide variety of benefits to employees. In addition to the competitive benefits package and salary, the City participates in the Florida Retirement System (FRS) which offers an investment option and a pension option, and requires a 3% contribution from employees. New hires are automatically enrolled in FRS.
Say "Hello" to the City of Fort Lauderdale and Say "Goodbye" to Your Student Loan!
That's right! Under the U.S. Department of Education's Public Service Loan Forgiveness ( PSLF ) program, the remaining balance on your student loan may be forgiven after you have made 120 qualifying monthly payments while working full-time at the City of Fort Lauderdale! Please visit www.fortlauderdale.gov/PublicServiceLoanForgiveness for more information or to see if you qualify.
NOTE: The duties of this position will include all of those duties set forth in the official job description.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Essential functions are the basic job duties that an employee must be able to perform, with or without reasonable accommodation. The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the tasks performed within this classification. The omission of a function does not preclude management from assigning essential duties not listed herein if such duties relate to the position.
- Participates in performing custodial tasks as applies to municipal buildings and other municipal property, including trash removal
- Lines playing fields; drags, waters, weeds, and maintains landscaped areas on baseball and football fields, as assigned
- Participates in setting up and taking down of benches, seats, chairs, office furniture and other equipment
- Performs landscaping duties, including mowing, weed eating, edging, and blowing
- May act as a concession attendant
- Assigns and issues tools; maintains shop area and equipment
- Performs minor repairs on equipment and municipal grounds
- Hand weeds, fertilizes and waters ornamental plant beds; may assist in the installation and maintenance of annual plant beds
- Operates gas-operated trimming/edging equipment to trim/edge around trees, signs, landscaped beds, etc.; waters and fertilizes lawn areas
- Operates gas-operated riding lawn mowers and large push mowers to cut grass in parks, medians and other City-maintained areas and facilities
- Picks up litter and debris by use of pick sticks, blowers or vacuums; empties trash receptacles.
- Trims and prunes trees, shrubs and bushes from ground level by use of hand tools such as hand clippers and pole saws; loads trucks with trimmings and other debris
- Paints over graffiti using either roller or brush, and/or removes graffiti via use of proper cleaning materials
- Maintains and cleans areas using rakes, hoes, shovels, blowers and related tools and equipment.
- Performs minor maintenance and repair to park furniture and related equipment.
- Operates trucks and other automotive equipment as needed
- Performs a variety of other manual tasks including digging/shoveling sand and dirt; lifts, loads and properly stores tools and equipment; performs basic maintenance to tools and equipment; mulches landscaped areas
- May be required to work staggered schedules including evening hours when necessary
- Performs related work as required or directed by crew leader or supervisor
JOB REQUIREMENTS & WORK ENVIRONMENT
High School Diploma or G.E.D. equivalent.One (1) to three (3) years of related experience. Additional qualifying experience or completion of coursework at an accredited college or university in a job-related field, may substitute on a year-for-year basis for the required experience or education.Requires a Class "B" Commercial Driver's License Special Requirements:
Essential Employees may be required to work during a declared emergency. The employee's Department Head will determine who will be required to work.
PHYSICAL STANDARDS REQUIRED TO PERFORM ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
The position involves heavy physical demands, such as exerting up to 100 lbs. of force occasionally, and/or up to 50 lbs. of force frequently, and/or up to 20 lbs. of force constantly to move objects; performs heavy manual labor for extended periods of time, often under hot and humid conditions;
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
HOW TO APPLY/ VETERAN INFORMATION
Depending on the number of applicants and the quality of their education and experience, the examination may consist of one or more of the following tests: Evaluation of Training and Experience, Oral Interview, Written Examination, or other assessment method. Applicants must attain a minimum score of 70 in each part of the examination in order to qualify. All successful applicants may be required to take a medical examination and/or pass a drug screening prior to appointment.
An eligible veteran who enters an open-competitive examination shall receive preference points added to the total passing score earned in the examination as provided for in the Florida Statutes. To obtain veteran's preference, candidates MUST submit a copy of separation papers and the City of Fort Lauderdale's veteran's preference claim form ( J204 ) at time of application.
The City of Fort Lauderdale offers a comprehensive benefits package to all regular full-time employees including vacation, holiday, and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and short-term disability insurance.
Click here for an overview of employment information including our benefits package.
Closing Date/Time: 10/6/2023 11:59 PM Eastern