Facilities Specialist (Staff Specialist)
Facilities Specialist (Staff Specialist)
THIS RECRUITMENT IS OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
This recruitment will be open for a minimum of five (5) business days and will remain open on a continuous basis until 11:59PM (PST) on the day the County's needs are met.
Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply immediately, as the deadline to apply for the first round of consideration will be on May 16, 2023, at 11:59 p.m. (PST). Applications received after that date will be processed in the next round.
Salary may be negotiable within the range listed above, based on position requirements and successful candidate's qualifications, subject to appropriate authorization.
This recruitment will establish an open eligible list. This list will be used to fill current and future Staff Specialist positions within the Health Care Agency. This recruitment may also be used to fill positions in similar and/or lower classifications throughout the County of Orange.
The County of Orange, Health Care Agency is a dynamic organization dedicated to creating and supporting an environment that promotes the achievement of optimal individual, family, and community health. Under the direction of the Agency Director, a new and dynamic executive team with an organizational structure comprised of six (6) service areas - Correctional Health, Director's Office, Finance & Administrative, Mental Health & Recovery, Public Health, and Strategy & Special Projects - is committed to meeting the health needs of the diverse Orange County community.
HCA Facilities Services is responsible for the management and oversight of HCA facilities including renovations, improvement project management, program relocations, building access management, leased facility maintenance and coordination for the Agency's 135+ facilities throughout Orange County.
The Facilities Specialist will work within the Facilities Services Program of the Management Services Division and will be responsible for the contract monitoring and building management of various HCA facilities.
The primary responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Contract monitoring
- Coordinating security for the HCA Headquarters Building
- Building Management
- Coordinating maintenance repairs and construction
- Controlling and coordinating Agency-wide building access
- Scheduling inspections
- Directly supervising contracted building maintenance service personnel
- Vendor performance management
- Customer Service
The ideal candidate will have at least three (3) years of experience in facilities operations and building management. Possession of a bachelor's degree or higher in Business, Multi-Interdisciplinary Studies, Public and Social Services, Social Sciences, Science, Technology Engineering, Math, or a closely related field, can be used to substitute up to one (1) year of the required experience. Unofficial transcripts must be attached to the application if you are using education as experience substitution.
In addition, the ideal candidate will possess the knowledge, skills and abilities that demonstrate the following competencies:
Technical Knowledge | Technical Experience
- General knowledge of standard building maintenance activities such as custodial, landscaping, elevator maintenance, lighting maintenance and the costs and timelines required to complete them
- Ability to interpret and understand federal, state, and local legislation, policies, regulations, and issues that pertain to the technical and service aspects of the assignment
- Basic knowledge and understanding of standard contract language
- Familiarity with maintenance management software and computerized maintenance management systems (CMMS)
- Familiarity with performing building and grounds inspections
- Some knowledge with invoicing and cost estimating
- Ability to write and log inspection reports
- Ability to use Microsoft Office programs such as Word, Excel, and Outlook
Critical Thinking | Analysis
- Detects, evaluates, and identifies program issues, and generates alternative solutions to make recommendations that meet business needs
- Analyzes problems in context of available information and program constraints
- Integrates information from diverse sources to support sound decision-making
- Balances many projects and consistently delivers timely and accurate results while addressing changing priorities
- Selects appropriate performance measures and outcomes to track and measure results using independent judgment
Communication Skills | Oral and Written
- Ability to effectively communicate with peers, management, vendors, public, and city or county staff to achieve business objectives and foster effective working relationships
- Proven history of demonstrating a positive attitude and eagerness to learn
- Ability to use diplomacy when dealing with challenging situations and/or people
- Ability to effectively present thoughts, ideas, information, and messages clearly, concisely, logically, and persuasively both orally and in writing with correct punctuation and spelling
- Ability to provide excellent customer service to external and internal stakeholders, such as County agencies/departments, management, consultants, contractors, and the public
- Ability to handle multiple interruptions
- Ability to handle emergency situations while maintaining composure and respect to all parties involved
Customer Service | Interpersonal Skills
- Ability to work effectively with internal and external parties
- Able to handle changing deadlines and tasks
- Display good customer service skills and foster good working rapport with internal and external parties
- Multitask and work well under high pressure in a fast-paced environment
- Work independently and efficiently while providing accurate results and adhering to office policies and procedures
- Maintain client confidentiality and adhere to laws
- Ability to receive directives from superiors and follow through
- Able to promote teamwork and positivism within the office
- Able to adjust to changing deadlines and assignments
Click here to learn more about the minimum qualifications for the Staff Specialist classification.
THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Human Resource Services (HRS) will screen all application materials to identify qualified applicants. After screening, qualified applicants will be referred to the next step in the recruitment process. All applicants will be notified via e-mail of their status in the process.
Veterans Employment Preference
The County is committed to providing a mechanism to give preferential consideration in the
employment process to veterans and their eligible spouses and will provide eligible participants the opportunity to receive interviews in the selection process for employment and paid internship openings. Please clickhere to review the policy.
Application Screening (Refer/Non-Refer)
Applications and supplemental responses will be screened for qualifications that are highly desirable and most needed to successfully perform the duties of this job. Only those applicants that meet the qualifications as listed in the job bulletin will be referred to the next step.
Structured Oral Interview (Weighted 100%)
Applicants will be interviewed and rated by a panel of subject matter experts (SMEs). Each applicant's rating will be based on responses to a series of structured questions designed to elicit the applicant's qualifications for the job.
Based on the Department's needs, the selection procedures listed above may be modified. All applicants will be notified of any changes in the selection procedure.
Once the assessments have been completed, HRS will establish an eligible list of candidates. Candidates placed on the eligible list may be referred to a selection interview to be considered for present and future vacancies.
Please see below for important information regarding COVID-19 related recommendations.
Effective April 3, 2023, it is strongly recommended that County employees working in health care settings and correctional facilities follow vaccination and booster guidelines provided by the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Please click here to see the latest guidance for more details.
Email is the primary form of notification during the recruitment process. Please ensure your correct email address is included in our application and use only one email account.
NOTE: User accounts are established for one person only and should not be shared with another person. Multiple applications with multiple users may jeopardize your status in the recruitment process for any positions for which you apply.
Candidates will be notified regarding their status as the recruitment proceeds via email through the GovernmentJobs.com site. Please check your email folders, including spam/junk folders, and/or accept emails ending with "governmentjobs.com" and "ocgov.com." If your email address should change, please update your profile at www.governmentjobs.com.
Frequently Asked Questions
Click herefor additional Frequently Asked Questions.
For specific information pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Carissa Sevilla at (714) 834-6208 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Orange County, as an equal employment opportunity employer, encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous