Salary may be negotiable, based on position requirements and successful candidate's qualifications, subject to appropriate authorization.
THIS RECRUITMENT IS OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
The eligible list established through this recruitment will be used to fill current and future Facilities Mechanic positions within OC Public Works. This list may also be used to fill vacancies at other County of Orange agencies.
DEADLINE TO APPLY
The application period will close on Wednesday, September 13, 2023 at 11:59PM PST.
OC PUBLIC WORKS
OC Public Works provides services on a regional basis to unincorporated areas, to cities, and to other County agencies and departments. The primary mission of the department is to protect and enrich the community through efficient delivery and maintenance of public works infrastructure, planning, and development services. OC Public Works core values are integrity, accountability, service and trust.
OC Public Works is a unique County department comprised of ten service areas: OC Development Services; OC Fleet Services; OC Administrative Services; OC Facilities Design & Construction; OC Facilities Maintenance; OC Environmental Resources; OC Operations & Maintenance; OC Construction; OC Infrastructure Programs; and OC Survey. The Department currently has a workforce in excess of 950 positions.
Click here for more information on OC Public Works.
Click here for more information on the County of Orange.
The Facilities Mechanic is a multi-trade position responsible for the general maintenance of electrical systems, air conditioning units, buildings, and plumbing systems at various County of Orange buildings and facilities, including John Wayne Airport (JWA). Incumbents in these positions generally work independently and with minimal supervision. The selected candidate(s) may be assigned to OC Public Works or JWA. Airport positions have additional requirements described below.
The Facilities Mechanic will be responsible for:
- Troubleshooting electrical, plumbing, air conditioning, mechanical or other systems and perform minor to moderate repairs.
- Testing electrical circuitry, appliances and equipment for malfunctions and diagnosing the cause of failure. Replace worn parts if necessary.
- Detecting and locating leaks, blockages and other issues in plumbing systems. Replace valves, pipelines, faucets, fixtures and remove blockages.
- Perform preventive maintenance, diagnose issues and perform minor repairs on air conditioning units.
- Performing minor carpentry duties, such as repairs to doors, and installing related hardware.
- Assisting journey-level tradespersons, such as plumbers, AC mechanics and electricians, with more complex and time-consuming repairs and maintenance projects.
Note: For Facilities Mechanic positions at John Wayne Airport, the selected candidate may be assigned to a day, swing or night shift in a 4/10 schedule. As JWA is a 24 hour, seven days a week, 365 days per year operation, the selected candidate must be willing and able to work their assigned shift including weekdays, weekends and holidays when not on approved leave. Selected candidates may be called upon to work other shifts (including night shift), call-back, on-call, and overtime as needed.
Employees that are assigned the night shift receive a night shift differential of 5.5% of the employee's basic hourly rate. The night shift is defined as an assigned work shift of seven (7) consecutive hours or more which includes at least four (4) hours of work between the hours of 4PM and 8AM.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS AND CORE COMPETENCIES
The most successful candidates will demonstrate job-related education, experience and training that developed the job knowledge and abilities listed in the job announcement as they relate to facility maintenance within a commercial, institutional and industrial setting.
Additionally, the successful candidate must possess the following core competencies:
- Ability to demonstrate general of knowledge and skill in a functional specialty and remain current in the area of electrical, plumbing, air conditioning, mechanical, carpentry and related repairs.
- Methods, tools, and materials of the various building trades in commercial, institutional and industrial settings.
- Knowledge of codes pertinent to the repair of buildings, building facilities, and related equipment.
- Performs a variety of building maintenance and repair work in the electrical, mechanical, carpentry, and plumbing trades.
- Skillfully use standard hand and power tools of a variety of building trades.
- Diagnose the cause of electrical, mechanical, and structural problems and determine appropriate course of action.
- Make safe, skillful repairs to electrical and mechanical systems and structural facilities; adjust rapidly to new situations warranting attention and resolution.
- Proficient with computer programs such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Access and Computerized Maintenance Management Systems (CMMS).
- Ability to work positively and effectively to resolve issues and encourage collaboration.
- Ability to represent the organization effectively and communicate articulately.
- Maintain cooperative relationships and deal tactfully within and across organizational lines.
- Maintain positive and professional response during all work periods.
- Deliver technical and conceptual information clearly and articulately, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to use sound reasoning skills to identify and analyze problems by gathering relevant information and considering a broad range of issues related to facilities and maintenance.
- Capability in evaluating and anticipating resources necessary to create long-term maintenance plans.
- Ability to continually assess facility conditions to ensure efficient and effective operations and customer service.
The successful candidate must possess and maintain a valid California Driver's License, Class C or higher, by date of appointment.
AIRPORT ACCESS REQUIREMENTS (FOR JWA POSITIONS ONLY )
Employees must clear a background check, which includes a Criminal History Records Check (CHRC), Transportation Security Administration (TSA) check, and Security Threat Assessment (STA) check. Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid Airport Access Badge with an Airport Driving Endorsement within ten (10) days of employment. Airport Access Badge must be maintained and renewed every two (2) years.
Click here to view the complete classification description for Facilities Mechanic.
Veterans Employment Preference
The County is committed to providing a mechanism to give preferential consideration in the employment process to veterans and their eligible spouses and will provide eligible participants the opportunity to receive interviews in the selection process for employment and paid internship openings. Please click here to review the policy.
Human Resource Services (HRS) will screen all application materials for minimum and desirable qualifications. After screening, applicants who meet the minimum qualifications will be referred to the next step in the recruitment process. All applicants will be notified via e-mail of their status in process.
Written Exam | Multiple-choice Test (Weight 100%): Applicant will be required to take a proctored or unproctored written exam. Only the most successful candidates will be moved on to the next assessment step.
Performance Exam | Performance Test (Weight 100%): Applicant will be evaluated based on practical job exercises designed to assess the applicant's qualifications for the job. Only the most successful candidates will be placed on the eligible list.
Based on the County of Orange's needs, the recruitment process listed above may be modified. All candidates will be notified of any changes in the selection procedure.
Please see below for important information regarding COVID-19 related recommendations.
Effective April 3, 2023, it is strongly recommended that County employees working in health care settings and correctional facilities follow vaccination and booster guidelines provided by the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Please click here to see the latest guidance for more details.
Email is the primary form of notification during the recruitment process. Please ensure your correct email address is included in our application and use only one email account.
Candidates will be notified regarding their status as the recruitment proceeds via email through the GovernmentJobs.com site. Please check your email folders, including spam/junk folders, and/or accept emails ending with "governmentjobs.com" and "ocgov.com."
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Click here for additional Frequently Asked Questions.
For specific information pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Zachary Gutierrez at (714) 667-1623 or Zachary.Gutierrez@ocpw.ocgov.com.
Orange County, as an equal employment opportunity employer, encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
Closing Date/Time: 9/13/2023 11:59 PM Pacific