Facilities Maintenance Mechanic
The City of Tacoma, including Tacoma Public Utilities, is seeking applications for Facilities Maintenance Mechanics.
Facilities Maintenance Mechanics perform a wide variety of skilled maintenance and repair duties involving building systems such as HVAC, plumbing, electrical, locksmithing, and other trades for assigned facilities. Duties require mechanical aptitude and an employee must be willing and able to perform manual labor in multiple facilities under all types of weather conditions.
Facility types include Administrative, Police, Fire, Public Works, Community Centers as well as various Utility buildings.
The Ideal Candidate:
Our ideal candidate will be a highly skilled, safety conscious, punctual team player with a high work ethic. Candidate must be self-motivated and able to work both individually and with a team. The ideal candidate will provide great customer service and have a positive attitude while practicing good stewardship.
WHY WORK FOR THE CITY?
The City of Tacoma offers a generous program of employee benefits, including outstanding working conditions and an exceptional work/life balance.
In addition to important and meaningful work, this position offers a comprehensive total rewards package. Here are a few highlights:
- Competitive wages.
- Vacation, sick leave and paid holidays.
- Excellent health benefits. We have a highly competitive and generous benefits package for our employees and family with very low monthly premiums. Medical coverage for eligible employees, spouses and dependents, including children up to age 26. Vision care with VSP for employees and eligible dependents enrolled in the Regence PPO medical plan with vision benefits. Dental coverage for eligible employees and their elected dependents, including dependent children up to the age of 26.
- Investment in our employee's health. We have invested in a robust employee wellness program that offers incentives and discounts on our already low health insurance premiums.
- Outstanding retirement plan. This position is included in the Tacoma Employee's Retirement System , a defined benefits plan. Deferred compensation allowing tax-deferred savings as authorized under Section 457 of the IRS Code.
- City of Tacoma requires employees to reside in Washington State.
- Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States, there is no sponsorship available for this position.
City of Tacoma Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Tacoma's diversity is its greatest asset. Tacoma embraces its multi-cultural and multi-ethnic character. Communities of color and immigrant communities are fundamental to Tacoma's entrepreneurial spirit, workforce, and long-term success. In Tacoma, equity and empowerment are top priorities, meaning that all Tacoma residents must have equitable opportunities to reach their full potential and share in the benefits of community progress. One of our goals is for the City of Tacoma workforce to reflect the community it serves. We actively work to eliminate racial and other disparities and welcome candidates with diverse backgrounds and/or multicultural skill sets and experiences. Our goal is for Tacoma to be an inclusive and equitable place to live, work, and play.
Graduation from high school or vocational school;
Two years' journey-level experience in the operation, maintenance and repair of commercial mechanical systems, including complex heating, ventilating, air conditioning systems and other related systems.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- EPA Certification Type I and Type II
- Low Pressure Boiler Operator's License or the ability to obtain by the end of the probationary period ( Low Pressure Boiler Operator's License)
- Valid Washington State Driver's License at time of appointment, with maintenance thereafter
Positions assigned to the Tacoma Police Department may require additional background checks that may include fingerprinting and/or a polygraph test.
Knowledge & Skills
- Methods, materials and tools used for the mechanical repair and maintenance of buildings and related equipment
- Detection and repair of a variety of building defects and equipment failures
- Proper methods of storing equipment, materials and supplies
- Technical aspects of field of specialty
- Record-keeping techniques
- Health and safety regulations
- Requirements of maintaining buildings in a safe, clean and orderly condition
- Perform a wide variety of skilled maintenance duties involving electrical, locksmithing, HVAC, plumbing and other trades
- Perform building maintenance duties utilizing a variety of tools and machines used in the trades
- Work from blueprints, shop drawings and sketches
- Operate a variety of welding equipment
- Lift object weighing up to 75 pounds
- Understand and follow oral and written directions
- Add, subtract, multiply and divide quickly and accurately
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others
Selection Process & Supplemental Information
To be considered for this opportunity:
Interested individuals must apply online and meet the minimum qualifications to progress in the examination process.
Candidates who are eligible for Veteran's Preference scoring criteria must attach a copy of their DD-214 member copy 4, (proof of military discharge form) at time of application , to be eligible for review for Veteran's Preference points, with redacted birth date and social security numbers.
This is a competitive selection process. Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications will have their responses to Supplemental Questions # 9-12 reviewed and scored by a committee of subject matter experts, as the Experience and Training Test . It is the responsibility of the applicants to adequately describe all pertinent experience and training. Please make sure you read the questions and provide complete informative answers. DO NOT respond with see resume in lieu of answering these questions; this will result in a failing score.
Candidates who obtain a passing score will be ranked on the eligible list for interview and hiring consideration.
Per City of Tacoma Personnel Management Policy #170, the City of Tacoma is a drug-free work environment. Appointment is subject to successful completion of a pre-employment background check and will include a pre-employment medical examination, physical ability test and drug and alcohol screening. Candidates will be required to possess a valid Washington State driver's license at the time of appointment with maintenance thereafter.
This position is covered by a Labor Agreement between the City of Tacoma and Local Union 483 IBEW. New employees must successfully complete a nine-month probationary period prior to obtaining permanent status in this classification.
When you work for the City of Tacoma you'll have the opportunity to enjoy a healthy work/life balance, the potential for flexible work schedules (with some job classifications), continuing education programs, leadership pathways, wellness incentives and a total rewards benefits program. We welcome you to take a look at our website and discover how the City of Tacoma can make your next career move part of our combined destiny:
The City of Tacoma believes that each employee makes a significant contribution to our success. This job description is designed to outline primary duties, qualifications and job scope. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
Communication from the City of Tacoma:
We primarily communicate via email during the application process. Emails from cityoftacoma.org and/or governmentjobs.com must be placed on your safe domain list to ensure that you receive notifications in a timely manner. As a precaution, you may also want to check your junk email folders.
The online application system requires you to enter a substantial amount of information. In order for your application materials to be considered, all information must be submitted by the closing date and time listed on this job announcement.
For assistance with the NEOGOV application process, or questions regarding this job announcement, please call Human Resources at (253) 591.5400 before 4:00 pm of the closing date of the job announcement.
The City of Tacoma provides excellent medical, dental and vision plans for the whole family; paid holidays and paid leave; participation in the Tacoma Public Employees' Retirement System (alternate plan for Police/Fire); continuing education and advancement opportunities and a growing variety of City-sponsored health and wellness opportunities and incentives.
Medical Coverage: For eligible employees and their families, including domestic partners and dependent children age 26 or younger.
Dental Coverage: For eligible employees and their families, including domestic partners and dependent children age 26 or younger.
Vision Coverage: For eligible employees and their eligible dependents.
Paid Leave: City employees are entitled to received paid holidays, sick/vacation leave or personal time off (PTO), depending upon union affiliation and appointment type.
Insurance Plans: Employees are covered by a long-term disability plan. Short-term and expanded long-term disability insurance plans are also available to employees. The State Industrial Insurance Act also covers employees.
Deferred Compensation: Income can be set aside on a pretax basis and invested for supplementation of normal retirement income.
Retirement: All employees of the City, except members of the Police and Fire services, Tacoma Rail and certain project employees, are included in the Tacoma Employees' Retirement System. Information on the Tacoma Employees' Retirement System can be found at www.cityoftacoma.org or by calling (253) 502-8200.
Other Employment Information
Direct Deposit: Employees are paid on a bi-weekly schedule by direct deposit.
Salary Increases: Based on satisfactory job performance, the City provides for a regular progression of salary increases for most classifications according to the salary schedule.
Union Affiliation: Many job classifications are covered by union security provisions which require union membership, dues, or payment of equivalent service fees.
Note: The provisions of this job announcement do not constitute an expressed or implied contract. Any provision contained herein may be modified and/or revoked without notice.
Closing Date/Time: 9/18/2023 5:00 PM Pacific