Division Manager, Aviation (Facility Services)
Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
- Graduation with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in Public Administration, Business Administration, Architecture, Construction Science, Planning Management, or related field, plus 5 years experience, including two (2) years supervisory experience.
- Any combination of education and experience may substitute for the minimum qualifications
Licenses or Certifications:
Notes to Applicants
Purpose of this Position:
Under general direction, this position oversees the day-to-day cleaning and maintenance operations for the airport.
Responsible for performing staff management, janitorial operations, customer service, budget management, environmental compliance, inventory control, quality control, equipment maintenance, problem solving communication and coordinating with other airport divisions to ensure smooth operations and address any cleaning-related concerns or emergencies.
This position will regularly communicate with Asset Management and have a working knowledge of City of Austin and Aviation purchasing policies/procedures in order to obtain PO/Do's for goods and services from appropriate authorized vendors.
This position monitors sub-contractors including contracts management. Performs Administrative duties/responsibilities by preparing information for performance evaluation and disciplinary actions.
Completing and approving logs, forms, etc.
Develop and generate spreadsheets, reports, etc.
Conduct inventory analysis to ensure appropriate inventory levels are maintained.
Order supplies and equipment as needed
Prepare correspondence to initiate/distribute information.
This position will perform functional duties such as providing customer services by answering questions/requests and providing assistance to city employees, airport tenants, and airport customers.
Interact with other divisions, departments, and the general public to accomplish assignments/projects.
Develop and maintain knowledge and skills in facility maintenance related work.
TRAVEL : If you are selected for this position, and meet the Driver Safety Standards in the City of Austin Driver Safety Program, you may drive when necessary to multiple locations as part of your regular job duties. Otherwise, you are responsible for getting to and from these locations.
A skills assessment will be required for this position.
ON- CALL / CALL BACK RESPONSIBILITIES :
Position may require on-call or call-back responsibilities.
SHIFT INCENTIVE :
Shift work includes shift differential incentives for evening and night shifts and weekends.
ESSENTIAL PERSONNEL : This position is categorized as essential personnel. Essential personnel are required to come to work during emergencies or bad weather at the airport if they are scheduled to work and, in some cases, when they are not scheduled.
APPLICATION INFORMATION :
- A detailed and complete employment application is required to help us better evaluate your qualifications and will be used to determine salary if you are selected for this position.
- Please list your complete employment history, to include all job duties, responsibilities, and employment dates, on your online application.
- The application is an official document; incomplete applications will not be considered (i.e., "see resume" or "see LinkedIn profile").
- Resumes will not be used to qualify for the position and will not be used to recommend salary.
- Supplemental information or changes to your application will not be accepted after the job posting closes.
- The responses to the supplemental questions inquiring about experience should be reflected on your application.
Veteran candidates will be required to provide a copy of their DD214 at the time of interview.
CRIMINAL HISTORY BACKGROUND CHECK :
The top candidate will be subject to a minimum 10-year criminal background check and security threat assessment.
GOOD STANDING - DEPARTMENT / DIVISION EMPLOYEES :
Employees, in good standing, who are candidates within the department/division that the position resides in and who meet the minimum and preferred qualifications (if any) of the position will be included in the initial interview. Department/division employees must remain in good standing through the top candidate selection phase at which time the good standing status will be re-verified.
Must have the ability to read, write, and fluently speak in English.
Overtime may be required with or without notice.
WORK HOURS :
Shift may change according to departmental needs; work hours may include after hours, holidays, and weekend work.
DEPARTMENT MAY CLOSE THIS JOB POSTING AT ANY TIME AFTER 7 DAYS .
Notes to Applicants (Historical)
$38.97 - $50.67
Monday - Friday 6:30am to 3:30pm
Monday- Friday 3:30pm to 11:30pm
Sunday - Thursday 10:00pm to 6:30am
Hours may change depending on departmental needs.
Work hours may include after-hours, holidays, and weekend work.
Job Close Date 11/22/2023
Type of Posting External
Grant Funded or Pooled Position Not Applicable
Location Austin Bergstrom International Airport
- Experience working in a high traffic/high tempo environment.
- Experience managing facility services in a 24/7 operation.
- Experience managing 3rd party contracts.
- Ability to travel to more than one work location.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
Prepares annual budget and monitors labor, material and capital expenditures; writes specifications and prepares requisitions; reviews bids and prepares recommendations. Consults with contractors, engineers, airport tenants and lessees on proposed construction, repairs and new installations at facilities. Makes recommendations for modifications to existing facilities and equipment schedules. Implements regular and preventive maintenance recommendations at Austin Bergstrom International Airport. Processes work orders and determines material and labor requirements for jobs; coordinates grounds maintenance activities with other maintenance shops, airport tenants and other airport operations. Supervises, assigns, coordinates and directs all phases of maintenance through a small staff of foremen, tradesmen, equipment operators and laborers engaged in maintenance activities throughout Austin Bergstrom International Airport. Meets with equipment and product manufacturers to maintain current information on technical advances. Answers questions from the public, contracts and internal customers.
Responsibilities- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
- Responsible for the full range of supervisory activities including selection, training, evaluation, counseling and recommendation for dismissal.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of large-scale and long-range facility improvement planning for aviation facilities.
- Knowledge of the design characteristics of specialized aviation structures and facilities.
- Knowledge of contracts, forms and reports required in the management of airport facility improvement projects.
- Knowledge of landside, terminal and airside operations at Austin Bergstrom International Airport.
- Knowledge of Federal, State and Local laws.
- Knowledge of city practice, policy and procedures.
- Knowledge of safety practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of fiscal planning and budget preparation.
- Knowledge of supervisory and managerial techniques and principles.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
- Skill in using computers and related software.
- Skill in data analysis and problem solving.
- Skill in planning and organizing.
- Ability to direct and coordinate the design, development and construction of airport facilities improvement projects.
- Ability to apply advanced professional engineering knowledge to the review and coordination of airport facilities improvement programs.
- Ability to direct and review the work of engineering and architectural consultants.
- Ability to prepare requisitions and specifications for various types of building materials and motor equipment and to devise modifications to equipment to meet specific work problems.
- Ability to work with frequent interruptions and changes in priorities.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with other city employees and the public.
Criminal Background Investigation This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation.
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or Texas Relay by dialing 7-1-1.
The City of Austin will not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, creed, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, age, religion, veteran status, disability, or sexual orientation. In addition, the City will not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of an individual's AIDS , AIDS Related Complex, or HIV status; nor will the City discriminate against individuals who are perceived to be at risk of HIV infection, or who associate with individuals who are believed to be at risk.
Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* The minimum qualifications for this position are graduation with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in Public Administration, Business Administration, Architecture, Construction Science, Planning Management, or related field, plus 5 years experience, including two (2) years supervisory experience. Any combination of education and experience may substitute for the minimum qualifications. Do you meet these qualifications?
* Please describe your experience in a 24/7 operation.
(Open Ended Question)
* Please describe your experience managing 3rd party contracts.
(Open Ended Question)
* Please describe your experience working in a high traffic/high tempo environment.
(Open Ended Question)
* Do you have the ability to travel to multiple sites as part of the regular job duties?
* The Transportation Security Administration (TSA-division of the USA Dept. of Homeland Security) requires all employees of the Austin-Bergstrom International Airport to pass a minimum 10-year criminal background investigation and security threat assessment. By selecting the following, you are acknowledging that you understand if you are selected as a top candidate for this position, you will need a successful Criminal Background Check to be hired.
- I acknowledge and understand this position requires a 10-year Criminal Background Investigation and security threat assessment
* Were you referred to this opportunity by a current Aviation employee? If yes, please provide the employee's full name.
(Open Ended Question)
Optional & Required Documents
Required Documents Optional Documents