Direct Support Professional – Human Services Technician
When all employees are embraced, respected and heard, we will build a collaborative, equitable, inclusive and anti-racist culture where everyone thrives.
Working Title: Direct Support Professional
Job Class: Human Services Technician
Agency: Human Services Dept
- Who May Apply: Open to all qualified job seekers
- Date Posted: 11/18/2023
- Closing Date: 12/18/2023
- Hiring Agency/Seniority Unit: Department of Human Services
- Division/Unit: Direct Care & Treatment / Community Based Services / Minnesota State Operated Community Services
- Work Shift/Work Hours: Days / Evenings / Overnights / Rotating Shift (ex: 7:00a.m. - 3:30 p.m.; 3:00 p.m. - 11:00 p.m.; hours may vary depending on the needs of the program)
- Days of Work: Varies; may include weekends and holidays.
- Travel Required: Yes (Transport and accompany individuals to medical appointments, community outings, recreational activities, and spiritual events)
- Salary Range: $20.01 - $26.81 / hourly
- Classified Status: Classified
- Bargaining Unit/Union: 204 - Health Care Non Professional/AFSCME
- Work Area: Moorhead, Minnesota
- FLSA Status: Nonexempt
- Telework Eligible: No
- Designated in Connect 700 Program for Applicants with Disabilities : Yes
Make a difference in the lives of Minnesotans.
The work you'll do is more than just a job. Join the talented, engaged and inclusive workforce dedicated to creating a better Minnesota.
Candidates may be eligible for up to a $2,500 hiring bonus!*
This posting will be used to fill multiple permanent, full-time (80 hours), part-time and intermittent (on-call) Direct Care positions within DHS Community Based Services sites in, Moorhead, Minnesota. Shifts Available: Day, rotating (day/evening combination) OR overnight. We also offer shift differential for hours between 6:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m.!
As a Direct Support Specialist, you will be a member of a team who helps provide essential services to Minnesota's most vulnerable residents. On a day-to-day basis, you will:
- Assist individuals when needed in the performance of work, recreation, and activities of daily living
- Lift, move, or position non-ambulatory or ambulatory individuals
- Administer medications, implement instructions, and act accordingly as directed
- Respond to medical emergencies, including first aid and CPR
- Transport and accompany individuals to medical appointments, community outings, recreational activities, and spiritual events
- Respond therapeutically to individuals with challenging behaviors
With locations across Minnesota, it is likely we will have a vacancy near you, working at one home rather than multiple locations!
*Current State of Minnesota Employees are not eligible for the hiring bonus.
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Current and valid driver's license
- Basic math skills
- Clear communication skills
- Basic computer skills
- Our employees are dedicated to ensuring cultural responsiveness. Preferred candidates will have a variety of experiences working effectively with others from different backgrounds and cultures.
To facilitate proper crediting, please ensure that your resume clearly describes your experience in the areas listed and indicates the beginning and ending month and year for each job held.
REFERENCE/BACKGROUND CHECKS - The Department of Human Services will conduct reference checks to verify job-related credentials and criminal background check prior to appointment.
How to Apply
Select "Apply for Job" at the top of this page. If you have questions about applying for jobs, contact the job information line at 651-259-3637 or email email@example.com . For additional information about the application process, go to http://www.mn.gov/careers .
CERTAIN DISABLED VETERANS: Effective August 1, 2012, legislation provides state agencies with the option to appoint certain disabled veterans on a noncompetitive basis if they: 1) meet service requirements and have a verified service-connected disability rating of at least 30%; 2) provide qualifying documentation verifying the disability; and 3) meet all Minimum Qualifications identified in this posting. To be considered under this legislation you must submit all documentation before the closing date.
If you have questions about the position, contact CBS Staffing at CBS.Staffing@state.mn.us .
To receive consideration as a Connect 700 Program applicant, apply online, email the Job ID#, the Working Title and your valid Proof of Eligibility Certificate by the closing date to Jacqueline Jensen at firstname.lastname@example.org .
About Human Services Dept
WE MAKE A DIFFERENCE! The Minnesota Department of Human Services impacts the lives of 1.7 million people every year, helping them meet their basic needs so they can achieve their highest potential.
Why Work for Us
DHS operates a highly specialized behavioral health care system that serves people with mental illness, substance abuse disorders, and developmental and intellectual disabilities. This includes psychiatric hospitals and other inpatient mental health treatment facilities; inpatient substance abuse treatment facilities; dental clinics, group homes, vocational sites, and sex offender treatment facilities.
We are committed to continually developing a workforce that reflects the diversity of our state and the populations we serve. The varied experiences and perspectives of employees strengthen the work we do together and our ability to best serve the people of Minnesota.
A recent engagement survey of State of Minnesota employees found:
- 95% of employees understand how their work helps achieve their agency's mission
- 91% of employees feel trusted to do their jobs
- 88% of employees feel equipped to look at situations from other cultural perspectives when doing their job
- 87% of employees report flexibility in their work schedule
Our benefits aim to balance four key elements that make life and work meaningful: health and wellness, financial well-being, professional development, and work/life harmony. As an employee, your benefits may include:
- Public pension plan
- Training and professional development
- Paid vacation and sick leave
- 12 paid holidays each year
- Paid parental leave
- Low-cost medical and dental coverage
- Prescription drug coverage
- Vision coverage
- Wellness programs and resources
- Employer paid life insurance
- Short-term and long-term disability
- Health care spending and savings accounts
- Dependent care spending account
- Tax-deferred compensation
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Tuition reimbursement
- Federal Public Service Student Loan Forgiveness Program
Programs, resources and benefits eligibility varies based on type of employment, agency, funding availability, union/collective bargaining agreement, location, and length of service with the State of Minnesota.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Minnesota state agencies are equal opportunity, affirmative action, and veteran-friendly employers. The State of Minnesota recognizes that a diverse workforce is essential and strongly encourages qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply.
We will make reasonable accommodations to all qualified applicants with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability who needs assistance or cannot access the online job application system, please contact the job information line at 651-259-3637 or email email@example.com and indicate what assistance is needed.