Development Services Technician II – Updated
Job Appointment: Regular, full time
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8am-5pm or Schedule may vary depending on position/bureau.
Work Location: Multiple Locations, OR
Benefits: Please check our benefit tab for an overview of benefit for this position.
Language Pay Premium Eligible: Positions is eligible for Language Pay Differential for qualifying employees.
Union Representation: This classification is represented by Professional Technical Employees, Local 17 (PROTEC 17). To view this labor agreement, please click here.
Application Material: Please click APPLY to submit your application via the City of Portland's online portal. You will need respond to the supplemental questions and attach a resume.
As a Development Services Technician II (DST II) , you will be responsible for assisting a wide variety of stakeholders (contractors, developers and homeowners) with moderate to difficult permitting inquiries and needs, starting at various stages in the permitting process through completion/resolution. Typical decisions you will make include correctly processing and issuing applications, screening inquiries or applications for processing, entering and managing data in databases, providing answers to code questions, both substantive and procedural. Candidates in this position must also meet the Bureau's expectations of providing excellent customer service in an equitable manner to meet the needs of the City of Portland's community. Fluency in a second language is desirable, but not required.
The DST II positions are located in the following bureaus:
- Bureau of Development Services (BDS)
- Portland Parks & Recreation (PP&R)
- Portland Fire & Rescue
The eligible list from this recruitment may be used to fill current and future, regular and limited-duration vacancies in the Bureau of Development Services (BDS), Portland Parks & Recreation-Urban Forestry, and Fire & Rescue. For more detailed information regarding position specific information, see the Current Vacancies below.
See below for position specific information:
Bureau of Development Services Positions:
The City of Portland's Bureau of Development Services is actively recruiting to fill multiple positions in Permitting Services. Positions are in the Permitting Services Commercial and Residential sections.
Current Vacancies (2)
As a Permitting Services Permit Technician, you will be responsible for:
- Accurately interpret and analyze permit requests, construction drawings, and supplemental documentation to ensure permit submittal requirements are met for a variety of permit types
- Using various databases to analyze and understand complex inquiries and applications
- Providing answers to general permitting questions and be able to explain overall permitting process
- Retrieve property records and information, research and compile property permit history as a part of the development review process.
- Returning calls and emails within established turnaround times and assuring applications and inquiries are correctly addressed and/or directed to the appropriate department Ensuring that all our customers are directed to appropriate bureau and city resources
- Making independent decisions to provide the best customer experience for applicants when submitting permits through a variety of electronic portals
Portland Parks & Recreation Positions:
The Development Services Technician II (Tree Tech) is the single point of contact position in Portland Parks & Recreation Urban Forestry and is responsible for assisting a variety of customers (typically field inspectors, interagency partners, developers, and homeowners). Tree Techs manage the citywide Tree Hotline and respond to customer inquiries via phone, web, email and in person at the Development Services Center to review and process tree permit applications and issue over the counter tree permits and to guide customers through the tree permitting process.
No Current Vacancies
As a Tree Technician, you will be responsible for:
- Calls and emails are responded to within turnaround times
- Applications and inquiries are correctly addressed and/or directed to the appropriate department
- Urban Forestry's permitting database is adequately maintained
- Other administrative and regulatory tasks as assigned
Typical decisions include:
- Correctly interpreting and analyzing code (Portland's Tree Code-Title 11) to process and issue both development and non-development tree applications
- Analyzing and researching complex inquiries and applications
- Entering and managing data in various databases
- Providing answers to tree code questions, both substantive and procedural.
The Ideal candidate for a Development Services Technician II is someone who is:
- Committed to advancing racial equity and inclusion through interactions with the public and in the workplace.
- A motivated continuous learner who is flexible, reliable, and accountable to complete assigned tasks.
- Excited to use excellent customer service skills with a diverse customer group and can use significant independent judgment and technical knowledge.
- Able to thrive in a busy environment where you use excellent communication, time management, and multi-tasking skills to perform in fast-paced, high-output, and detail-oriented work.
- Bringing their positive energy and people skills to work to assist in building team effectiveness and creating successful outcomes in customer interactions.
- Skilled in using email, database, digital mapping software, internet, permitting software, and other electronic tools and filing systems.
- Experienced in reading architectural/engineering drawings and plans and has a general understanding of the permitting process.
Virtual Zoom Meet & Greet Opportunities
Come meet the hiring manager and the senior recruiter! We'll be talking about the position duties and responsibilities, day to day life in the role, review the announcement, discuss how to apply, and answer questions you may have about the position .
Thursday, September 14, 2023: 5:00 PM
Register in advance for this meeting:
Tuesday, September 19, 2023: 12:00 PM
Register in advance for this meeting:
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.
Jaclyn Snyder, Senior Recruiter
Bureau of Human Resources
The following minimum qualifications are required for this position:
- Knowledge of and experience applying city codes, regulations and processes pertaining to the permitting process.
- Knowledge and experience that demonstrates problem-solving, interacting cooperatively and constructively, diffusing dissent and conflict with internal and external stakeholders such as: management, staff, architects, contractors, engineers and the public.
- Knowledge of standard office practices and procedures including manual and electronic file development and maintenance, and specialized data gathering and research techniques.
- Experience reading and interpreting various technical materials and documents such as maps, architectural and engineering drawings, construction plans, and blueprints.
- Ability and experience using complex computer applications, please include experience using word processing, spreadsheet, databases and inventory software.
The Recruitment Process
STEP 1: Apply online between September 11, 2023 - September 25, 2023
Required Application Materials:
- Answer to the Supplemental Questions (click on the Questions tab to preview the questions)
Optional Application Materials:
- Veteran documents to request for Veteran Preference (ex, DD214-Member 4, VA Benefit Letter, etc.)
- Your responses to the supplemental questions should include details describing your education, training and/or experience, and where obtained, which clearly reflects your qualifications for each of the numbered items in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement.
- Your résumé should support the details described in your responses to the supplemental questions.
- Salary Range/Equity Pay Analysis : Please note per the Oregon State Pay Equity Law your salary is determined based on the experience and education listed in your resume/application. It is strongly encouraged to include any transferable experience (paid or unpaid regardless of how recent) to ensure your offer is reflective of all directly related and equivalent experience.
- Do not attach any additional documents.
- Please note, all completed applications for this position must be submitted no later than on the closing date and time of this recruitment.
- All applications must be submitted via the City's online application process.
- E-mailed and/or faxed applications will not be accepted.
Step 2: Minimum Qualification Evaluation: Week of September 25, 2023
- An evaluation of each applicant's training and paid and unpaid experience, as demonstrated in their resume and supplemental questions, weighted 100%.
- Your resume and responses to the supplemental questions will be the basis for our evaluation of your qualifications for this position. Incomplete or inappropriate information may result in disqualification.
- You have 14 days from the notice of the minimum qualification evaluation results to let us know if you like to review and discuss your evaluation result. Please read the City of Portland Administrative Rule 3.01 for complete information.
Step 3: Establishment of Eligible List: Week of October 2, 2023
- Candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be placed on the equally ranked eligible list.
Step 4: Selection (Interview): Mid-October
- Hiring bureau will review and select candidates to interview.
- Please note, the selection process may take up to 90 days from the notification of being placed on the eligible list.
Step 5: Offer of Employment: Early November
Step 6: Start Date: Late November
- A start date will be determined after all conditions of employment have been met.
*Timeline is approximate and subject to change*
Click here for additional information regarding the following:
- City of Portland Core Values
- Recruitment Process - Work Status
- Equal Employment Opportunity
- Veteran Preference
- ADA, Pregnancy, and Religious Accommodations
Closing Date/Time: 9/25/2023 11:59 PM Pacific