Customer Service Field Technician
**This recruitment will close upon receipt of the first 100 applications or May 29, 2023 at 11:59 PM, whichever comes first. Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply immediately as the recruitment my close at any time without notice.**
The Irvine Ranch Water District is accepting application for a Customer Service Field Technician who under direct supervision will process computerized meter reads for billing and use IRWD's Customer Information System. The successful candidate will read meters for specialized IRWD routes; provide turn on and shut off services to designated meters; perform service disconnects associated with non-pay accounts; install temporary water meters; perform field maintenance; verify new residential and non-residential tract release meter settings for billing and collect GPS data.
Summary of Duties
- Performs field activities, including verifying and reading meter numbers, recording read on lap top computers or handheld devices, providing turn on and shut off services as required.
- Respond to assigned Customer Service requests regarding excessive water bills and usage, check for leaks, meter misreads, and all other meter related problems. Enter findings into Field Mapplet System and/or CC&B system as required.
- Read, install, transfer, and remove temporary construction meters and complete required paperwork. Flow test construction meters to ensure proper functioning and assignment of registers. Inspect and detect misuse or malfunction of meters/fire hydrants.
- Inspect, detect, and report malfunctions in meters; verify reads, locations and other reported issues.
- Deliver notices for delinquent accounts including reconnection fees, deposits and returned check fees. Disconnect water service for nonpayment and reconnect upon notification for receipt of payment.
- Participate in the department's monthly schedule rotation to assist with customer requests.
- Read specialized IRWD routes.
- Inspect and verify new tracts and commercial meter settings, noting locations, addresses, meter information and village. Flow test units, collect GPS points and note type of dwellings, fire line services or landscape.
- Perform field maintenance with regard to replacing meter lids or covers, cleaning dirt or debris from meter boxes and cutting or trimming vegetation covering water meters.
- Provide continuous contact with District personnel via cell phones, landline phone, email, and Instant Message.
- Meet with customers to educate and resolve concerns.
- Collaborate with office staff to resolve field related customer issues.
- Maintain District vehicle, tools, equipment, and supplies in good working order. Ensure vehicle is clean and free of debris & trash.
- Participate in special projects as requested, including inventory and repair of construction meters, creation of specialized maps for meter reading purposes, address verification, marking of meter services, etc.
- Support mail services by performing duties such as, pick-up and delivery of mail to the various IRWD locations and personnel, processing District's mail using mailroom equipment, and delivery of mail to the post office (USPS) to ensure adequate coverage, as needed.
- Comply with District safety work-related practices and attend relevant safety training.
- Responsible for all other work-related duties as assigned.
- High School graduation or equivalent required. For degrees obtained outside of the U.S., an official equivalency evaluation is required.
- Two years experience in a field/customer service environment, preferably in the water industry, public utility, or a similar environment required.
- Computer experience in a Windows based environment desired.
- Meter reading experience required.
- Ability to read blueprints required.
- Valid Class 'C' California Driver's License required.
- Water Distribution Operator I certificate desired.
For a complete job description, please visit: Customer Service Field Technician
For details on our benefits, please visit: Benefits Information Closing Date/Time: 5/29/2023 11:59 PM Pacific