Automotive Senior Technician
What You'll Be Doing
You will be joining a team of highly qualified, trained and certified technicians who are responsible for the maintenance and repairs of over 1200 Wake County owned vehicles. Our fleet is comprised of vehicles used for by administrative, service, emergency response, EMS, Sheriff staff and more! Your skills will allow you to perform preventive maintenance to maximize vehicle uptime and reliability of county vehicles. Your expertise will be utilized to perform high level vehicle diagnosis and complex mechanical repairs. You will be working with an amazing team of fellow technicians, supervisors and customers as we continually look to improve our operations.
- Perform as a leader when assigned to guide team activities in a safe, efficient and productive manner
- Work independently or with a team to complete maintenance or repairs to county vehicles or equipment
- Report daily activities to Automotive Specialist, Fleet Maintenance Supervisor and/or Fleet Service and Asset Manager
- Complete warranty repairs and safety recalls on vehicles
- Enter information into the Fleet Management System including time, parts requests and repair/warranty documentation
- Support the Fleet Division with various duties as needed
- Utilize and maintain your personally owned tools and achieve/maintain forklift and NC State Inspection and emission license
NOTE: Due to the safety sensitive nature of employment, this position requires a pre-employment drug test, and submits to random drug testing.
About Our Team
Wake County Fleet Operation's Mission is to provide a well-managed competitive, environmentally responsible Fleet to Wake County and its customers. Our team is continually ranked in the national Top 100 Best Fleets. Our goal is to keep our team fully trained and certified to provide the highest level of service. You will be a part of our team as we strive towards a 'green fleet' by the use of Clean Energy in an effort to reduce our greenhouse gas impact on the environment.
The Basics (Required Education and Experience)
- High school diploma or GED
- Two years of experience in automotive repair
- Valid Driver's License and "safe" driving record
- Equivalent education and experience are accepted
Beyond the Basics (Preferred Education and Experience)
- Three plus years of senior level automotive experience including diagnostic skill level
- Achievement of formal automotive education
- Possession of a NC State Inspector and Emission license
- Minimum of four ASE Certifications or must be completed within the first year of employment
How Will We Know You're 'The One'?
- You will have a proven background in automotive diagnostics and repairs
- You have demonstrated leadership roles in prior positions
- You show past and continued interest in training, education and development of your skills
About This Position
Location: General Services Center Raleigh, NC 27603
Employment Type: Regular
Work Schedule: Mon - Fri 7:30am - 4:30pm
Hiring Range: $21.33 - $28.80
Posting Closing Date: 7:00 pm on 11/21/2023
What Makes Wake Great
Home to the State Capital, Wake County is one of the fastest growing areas in the nation and the most populous county in the state, with more than 1.1 million residents. The County has received national and international rankings and accolades from publications such as Money, Fortune, and Time magazines as being one of the best places to live, work and play. The central location of the County allows for a short drive to the spectacular mountains or coast. Wake County Government is governed by a seven-member Board of Commissioners, who are elected at-large to serve two-year terms. Wake County Government has a general operating budget of $1.57 billion, employs over 4400 employees, experiences minimal turnover, and is an award-winning leader in wellness and technology initiatives; such as offering employees and covered spouses free access to the Employee Health Center. Wake County Government offers a wide range of training and development opportunities, a stable career in public service with a balance of work and family life, flexible work schedules and a competitive salary and benefits package.
Equal Opportunity Statement
Wake County provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
Background Check Statement
Position may require a background check that may include: criminal, credit, motor vehicle, education, and sexual offender registry or others based on job requirements. Unless required by state law, a record of conviction will not automatically exclude you from consideration for employment. Wake County Government is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Emergency Service Worker Statement
In the event of an emergency, as determined by the County Manager or designee, participation in preparedness and response operations should be expected. Employee may be required to fill a temporary assignment in a role different from standard duties, work hours and/or work location in preparation for, during and after the emergency. Employee may also be required to participate in relevant exercises and regular preparedness training.