Automotive Mechanic – Amended
As the largest and most vibrant city in the state, Minneapolis depends on purposeful, dedicated and innovative employees. Minneapolis has a large variety of careers for people of all experiences and backgrounds who come together for a singular purpose--serving the residents, businesses and visitors of Minneapolis.
You will perform mechanical repairs/preventive maintenance on all City vehicles, police and fire vehicles, and construction equipment involving work with complex electrical systems, hydraulic systems, fuel systems, anti-lock brake systems, etc.
Minimum Salary $30.56 - Maximum Salary $31.89 per hour.
You may be eligible for additional pay for ASE and EVT certifications and Night Shift Differential.
Up to an extra $5.539 a hour upon completion of passing ASE and EVT tests.
Training will last up to 6 weeks from 7am - 3:30pm, Monday - Friday. Once complete you will transition to your normal shift. Shifts are decided by seniority and availability, you will need to be available for all shifts at the start of employment: 7am - 3:30pm, 11pm - 7:30am, 10pm, -6:30am, and 2:30pm - 11pm.
Amended - This posting will be closing 5/15/23 at 12:00 am
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Troubleshoot, install and/or repair hydraulic systems, transmissions, gas/diesel engines, electrical systems, clutches, differentials, ignitions and alternators for cars, trucks, fire and Police apparatus, packers, plows and heavy equipment.
- Fabricate parts and accessories for equipment using gas and electric welding equipment.
- Install and/or repair electrical wiring in equipment.
- Diagnose, adjust, repair, and replace electric, hydraulic, and air brakes.
- Perform preventive maintenance on vehicles/equipment as scheduled, and to Original Equipment Manufacture (OEM) standards.
- Complete repairs necessary for daily vehicle inspection reports and annual inspections for the State of Minnesota.
- Make recommendations on repair or replacement of equipment.
- Repair breakdowns of equipment in the field to ensure minimum down time.
- Order parts and supplies as necessary.
- Record and document all repairs using computers and logbooks.
- Contact service departments for warranty work, equipment modifications and updates.
- Check new equipment to ensure compliance with specifications.
- Mount and remove snow and ice control equipment.
- Drive snow plow trucks and/or equipment as needed.
- Perform annual certified DOT inspections.
- Maintain records of repairs made, orders, and time worked, using City Software.
Working Conditions: Exposure to hazardous chemicals, temperature changes, loud noises, carcinogens, gas and diesel fumes, etc.
Minimum Qualifications: Successful completion of an 18 to 24 month college / vocational course, at an accredited school, in automotive maintenance/repair or equivalent.
Minimum Experience: Three years of motor vehicle/equipment repair experience
Equivalency: An Equivalent combination of related education/experience may be considered.
- Must possess and continue to maintain a valid Class D License
- Must possess a valid Class A or Class B commercial Driver's License within twelve (12) months of employment, as a condition of employment, and continue to maintain a valid Class A or Class B Commercial Driver's License with air brake and tanker endorsements, as a condition of employment.
- Able to obtain Minnesota Commercial Motor Vehicle Inspector and Forklift Certificates within six (6) months of employment. (Forklift Certification will be done in-house)
Selection Process: The selection process will consist of one or more of the following steps: a rating of relevant education and experience and/or an oral examination (100%). It is important that your application show all the relevant education and experience you possess. This information will be used to determine which candidates will proceed in the selection process. A submitted application is also used to verify the answers to any supplemental questions. Only those candidates who attain a passing score (70%) on each step in the selection process will be placed on the eligible list. The City of Minneapolis Human Resources Department reserves the right to limit the number in any phase of the selection process.
Interview Selection: The hiring authority reserves the right to determine the maximum number of candidates to interview from the established eligible list. If the hiring authority decides to interview other than by exam score order, they may select additional people to interview based on a candidate's education or experience related to the field, work history, or skills uniquely related to the operational needs of the position.
Background Check: The City has determined that a criminal background check and/or qualifications check may be necessary for certain positions with this job title. Applicants may be required to sign an informed consent form allowing the City to obtain their criminal history and/or verify their qualifications in connection with the position sought. Applicants who do not sign the informed consent form will not be further considered for the position.
Drug and Alcohol Testing: All job applicants must pass a pre-employment drug and alcohol test once a conditional offer of employment has been made. Applicants will be required to sign a notification and consent form prior to undergoing drug and alcohol testing. Applicants who do not consent to undergo drug and alcohol testing will not be required to do so and the City will withdraw the conditional job offer, resulting in the job applicant no longer being considered for the position.
Medical Exam: After a conditional job offer, candidates will be required to pass a medical examination which includes a physical screening.
Union Representation: This position is represented by a collective bargaining agreement between the City of Minneapolis and the Construction Equipment Operators and Mechanics Unit, IUOE Local #49. For more information on the terms and conditions of this agreement please visit:
Eligible List Statement: The names of applicants who meet minimum qualification and who pass the screening process shall be placed on the eligible list for employment consideration. This list will be certified to the hiring manager who may use the list to fill a vacancy of the same job title. This eligible list will expire three (3) months after it has been established.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Minnesota Commercial Motor Vehicle Inspector Certification (one year of hire)
• Good knowledge of vehicle engine repair, which includes diesel, heavy-duty vehicles
and/or construction equipment.
• Good Knowledge of and ability to perform metal cutting and welding utilizing
oxy/acetylene torches and electric welding equipment.
• Good knowledge of the construction and operation of gas and diesel powered vehicles.
• Considerable knowledge of the tools, methods and techniques applicable to the repair
and maintenance of automotive, small engine and heavy equipment (garbage and
dump trucks, loaders, etc)
• Working knowledge of computers, ability to use the internet to research vehicle
• Verbal and written communication skills using the English language.
• Knowledge of the occupational hazards of the work and necessary safety precautions.
• Physical ability to lift heavy objects.
• Skill in trouble shooting and diagnosing mechanical problems.
• Ability to organize and administer a maintenance program.
Our employees enjoy competitive salaries and generous benefits. We pride ourselves on a comprehensive benefits program that supports employees' health and financial well-being.
Programs, resources, and benefit eligibility varies based on position, average hours worked, location and length of service. For detailed benefits information, pleasevisit the benefits page .
New 12 weeks of paid Parental Leave.
City employees are eligible for up to 12 weeks of paid parental leave in the event of a birth or placement for adoption of a child.
Eligibility for benefits begins the first of the month following employment date. The City of Minneapolis offers eligible employees one plan design with a choice of six provider networks, allowing you to select the best option for you. Available plans include Medica Choice Passport, Medica Elect, VantagePlus with Medica, Park Nicollet First with Medica, Ridgeview Community Network powered by Medica, and Clear Value with Medica.
The City of Minneapolis offers dental insurance through Delta Dental of Minnesota and pays 100% of the monthly premium for eligible employees.
Paid time off
Our generous leave package includes vacation, holidays and paid sick leave, which gives employees the opportunity to enhance their quality of life outside work. Amounts and accrual rates are based on years of experience and collective bargaining agreements .
City employees earn a pension and may choose to participate in additional retirement savings programs.
- Pension: The City of Minneapolis participates in the Public Employees Retirement Association (PERA). Employees and the City both contribute a percentage of your pay to fund future benefits.
- Deferred compensation : Employees may choose to participate in pre-tax or after-tax savings plans through the Minnesota State Retirement System (MSRS).
Eligible City employees may choose to participate in the following transportation programs:
- Metropass: The Metropass program allows eligible employees to enroll in a pass for unlimited bus or light rail rides at a discounted price.
- Parking or Van Pool: The City of Minneapolis Transportation Benefits Plan gives you options to pay certain commuting costs--such as qualified parking and van pool expenses--with pre-tax dollars
Learning and development
To engage and develop employees, the City of Minneapolis offers classes in leadership, cultural agility, change management and more. Additionally, educational discounts at Augsburg University, Hamline University and St. Mary's University of Minnesota are available to City employees.
Employees can also take advantage of optional life insurance, flexible spending accounts, the Employee Assistance Program , technology discounts and more.
Closing Date/Time: 5/15/2023 12:00 AM Central