Position Description APPLY IMMEDIATELY AS THIS RECURITMENT MAY CLOSE AT ANY TIME
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE ONLY
The Department of Internal Services is currently offering an excellent opportunity for driven, mechanically inclined individuals interested in pursuing a career as an Automotive Mechanic.
Automotive Mechanics are responsible for diagnosing, maintaining, and repairing mechanical and electrical malfunctions on automobiles and light duty trucks. This is a journey level (experienced level) classification and incumbents are expected to use appropriate procedures and techniques in accomplishing assigned tasks.
As a condition of employment, candidates may be required to undergo and pass a thorough and detailed personal background investigation and polygraph examination. These investigations include employment/credit histories, verification of education, arrest/criminal records, drug/alcohol use, and personal conduct. This list is neither inclusive nor exclusive; other relevant areas may be investigated and verified.
Note : The current vacancies exist within the Department of Internal Services. However, the eligible list established from this recruitment may be used to fill both extra-help and permanently allocated positions in other departments as they occur. Individuals selected for extra help appointment may be transitioned to a permanently allocated position at a later date as authorized by the Fresno County Personnel Rules.
Positions in this classification are in Medical Group III - Heavy Physical Activity (Personnel Rule 8). This group includes positions which require heavy physical effort using arms, legs, back, and trunk in frequent lifting, pushing, or pulling objects weighing (or offering resistance equivalent to) over 25 pounds. Generally, considerable bending, stooping, squatting, twisting, reaching, as well as standing and walking are involved. Physical stamina is usually required and explosive strength using bursts of energy may be required, depending upon specific position assignments.
Eligible candidates must be able to perform the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
Samples of Duties The information listed below is meant to serve as samples of the job duties and responsibilities for positions in this classification. This list is neither inclusive nor exclusive, but indicative of several types of duties performed. Consequently, this information does not reflect Essential Functions for any given position in this classification.
- Inspects, diagnoses, and repairs mechanical and electrical malfunctions on automobiles and light duty trucks.
- Repairs or replaces parts and accessories.
- Performs maintenance work on automobiles and light duty trucks.
- Performs engine tune-ups and valve adjustments.
- Repairs/and or replaces engines, transmissions, differentials, and braking and steering systems.
- Installs specialized equipment on vehicles, which may include but is not limited to emergency devices, lighting, and computer systems.
- Operates diagnostic equipment, evaluates readings, and performs adjustments and repairs.
- Prepares reports and maintains records.
- May maintain a parts inventory and place equipment orders.
- May train Fleet Services staff in work procedures.
- May act in a lead capacity, which includes assigning, reviewing, and coordinating the work of staff.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Knowledge of :
- Principles and practices of automotive repair and maintenance;
- Tools, parts, and materials used in automotive repairs and mechanical maintenance;
- Automotive air conditioning and emission control standards;
- Brake systems operations sufficient to perform necessary repairs and adjustments;
- Cooling systems sufficient to inspect and replace pressure parts;
- Electrical systems sufficient to repair and/or replace vehicle equipment such as starters, alternators, and emergency lighting and integrated computer systems;
- Department practices, policies, and procedures necessary to train, and assign, review and coordinate the work of staff;
- On-the-job safety and use of personal protective equipment;
- Basic computer operations;
- Principles and practices of effective customer service.
Skills/Abilities to :
- Diagnose automotive mechanical and electrical issues and determine appropriate action;
- Overhaul engines, transmissions, differentials, and braking and steering systems;
- Read and interpret parts books, service manuals, blueprints, drawings and work orders;
- Understand and carry out oral and written instructions;
- Independently adjust and repair equipment;
- Assign, review, and coordinate the work of staff;
- Train staff in department work procedures and methods;
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships at all organizational levels, as well as with other agencies and the public;
- Demonstrate and maintain a high degree of initiative, maturity, integrity, accountability, and good judgment;
- Practice appropriate safety precautions and procedures.
Minimum Qualifications OPTION 1 :
Experience : Two (2) years of full-time, paid work experience as an automotive mechanic which involved performing inspections and maintenance, diagnosing malfunctions, and repairing engines and other components of automobiles and/or light trucks.
Substitution : Completion of fifteen (15) semester units of coursework in automotive technology, or a closely related field, that is acceptable within the United States' accredited college or university system may substitute for one (1) year of the required experience.
License : Possession of a valid Class "C" driver's license, or equivalent.
OPTION 2 :
Certification : Completion of an approved automotive apprentice mechanic program certified by the Division of Apprenticeship Standards (DAS), California Department of Industrial Relations.
License : Possession of a valid Class "C" driver's license, or equivalent.
In addition to the options listed above, the following may be required:
Certification : Possession of a valid California Government Fleet Smog Check Inspection Program Smog Check Inspector badge issued by the Bureau of Automotive Repair may be required.
TO PREVENT THE DISQUALIFICATION OF YOUR APPLICATION, PLEASE NOTE :
- Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications and filing requirements for this position by the filing deadline.
- A completed Fresno County employment application is required (must be current, complete, and accurate). Amendments will not be accepted after the filing deadline.
- Resumes and attachments are not accepted in lieu of a completed application.
- Please fully list your work experience, including current position. Failure to list current and complete work experience within the job application (including employment with the County of Fresno) will result in the disqualification of your application.
- In the Education section of your application, please provide complete information for each school attended. Please provide the school's name and location, the number and type of units earned (semester or quarter), and which major or program was completed. Failure to completely list education within the job application may disqualify the applicant from consideration.
- If you have completed education in a foreign college or university and are using this education to meet the minimum qualifications, you must provide documentation that the foreign education is comparable to that received within the United States' accredited college or university system or your application will not be accepted. Documentation must be provided by the closing date and time of this recruitment. You must either attach a copy to your online employment application, hand deliver a copy to our office, or fax a copy to (559) 455-4788, Attn: Jose Rubio, by the closing date/time of this recruitment. Late submission of documentation will not be accepted.
- College/university transcripts may be requested to verify completion of qualifying education.
- If you are qualifying for this position via Option 2 and have completed an approved automotive apprentice mechanic program certified by the Division of Apprenticeship Standards (DAS), California Department of Industrial Relations, a copy of your certificate of completion must be submitted with your application or your application will not be accepted . You may attach a copy to your online application, hand deliver a copy to our office, or fax a copy to (559) 455-4788, Attn: Jose Rubio by the closing date and time of this recruitment.
- Valid driver's license number must be listed on your application. Failure to provide this number on your application will result in your application not being accepted.
SELECTION PROCESS :
Depending on the number of applicants meeting the minimum qualifications and filing requirements, applicants may be scheduled for one of the processes listed below:
- Certify Without Examination -In instances where the number of eligible candidates is less than or equal to the number of qualified applicants the Department is entitled to receive under Personnel Rule 4212, the competitive examination process will be waived and the names will be certified without an examination.
- Written Examination - If required, the written examination will be offered in an online format. Please indicate on the supplemental questionnaire if you have the ability to complete an online examination.
Successful candidates will be placed on an employment list effective for a minimum of 3 months (and may be extended up to an additional 12 months), and certified in final rank order as vacancies occur.
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS :
- Fresno County Employment Application (must be current, complete, and accurate; amendments will not be accepted after the filing deadline)
- Supplemental Questionnaire
- If applicable, a certificate of completion from an approved automotive apprentice mechanic program. You may attach a copy to your application, hand deliver a copy to our office, or fax a copy to (559) 455-4788, Attn: Jose Rubio by the closing date and time of this recruitment.
Please note : All required application materials must be received online via our website by the filing deadline. Emailed and faxed application materials will not be accepted. Postmarks will not be accepted. Resumes and attachments are not accepted in lieu of a completed application.
HOW TO APPLY : Applications for this recruitment must be submitted online only . An online application may be found at : https://www.fresnocountyjobs.com.
Open Job Information Flyer and click "Apply" to begin online application process. Failure to complete the job application or failure to follow the application instructions will result in the disqualification of the applicant. Amendments will not be accepted after the filing deadline.
Please be advised that it is the applicant's responsibility to notify Fresno County Human Resources of any mailing address and telephone number changes. Notices sent via U.S. mail from Human Resources are not forwarded ("Return Service" is requested, therefore mail will not be sent to a forwarding address).
Once the filing deadline has passed, you may check the status of the recruitment at any time by logging on to https://www.governmentjobs.com/Applications/Index/fresnoca.
For the safety of our employees the County of Fresno complies with all Federal, State and Local Orders related to COVID-19, including Cal OSHA Emergency Temporary Standards.
The County of Fresno is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. It is the policy of Fresno County to provide employment opportunity for all qualified persons. All applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, ancestry, medical condition, genetic information, or denial of medical and family care leave, or any other non-job-related factor.
REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS - The County of Fresno is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to applicants as required by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA). Qualified individuals with disabilities who need a reasonable accommodation during the application, examination or selection process may contact Human Resources at (559) 600-1830 at least 5 days prior to the scheduled date or deadline .
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Analyst: Jose Rubio
Closing Date/Time: Continuous